She fought for womens rights, crusaded for the causes of workers, promoted equality for minorities, and championed the underprivileged and the oppressed. She also earned several prestigious awards from countries as diverse as Japan, Brazil, and Leban

发表于:2018-12-07 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

The name Genghis Khan probably makes many people think of conquering warriors on horseback leaving burning cities and piles of dead bodies behind them. While there is no doubt that Genghis Khan was the leader of a highly efficient killing machine, th

发表于:2018-12-07 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Country and Western Singer Roger Miller Had Many Hit Songs Written by Paul Thompson (THEME) VOICE ONE: Im Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And Im Sarah Long with the VOA Special English program, PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today we tell about music writer and per

发表于:2018-12-07 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Thomas Edison, 1847-1931: America's Great Inventor Edison is remembered most for the electric light, phonograph and his work with motion pictures. ANNOUNCER: Welcome to the VOA Special English program, People in America. Today, Sarah Long and Bob Dou

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

By Jeri Watson and Caty Weaver Broadcast: December 26, 2004 (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And Im Faith Lapidus with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about five special people who died during the past year. We st

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

VOICE ONE: Im Mary Tillotson. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program PEOPLE IN AMERICA. This week, we tell about one of the most successful American businesswomen. Mary Kay started a company in nineteen sixty-three with a

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

VOICE ONE: Im Mary Tillotson. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program, PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today, we tell about writer Langston Hughes, who has been called the poet voice of African Americans. (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Langston Hug

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

George Gershwin: More of the Life and Music of One of America's Great Songwriters Written by - Shelley Gollust (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Barbara Klein. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we continue our rep

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Leonard Bernstein: Composer, Conductor, Pianist and Teacher Written by Jerilyn Watson (MUSIC) ANNCR: Welcome to People in America in VOA Special English. Today, Rich Kleinfeldt and Sarah Long tell about the life and work of one of the most influentia

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Charles Schulz wrote the popular comic stripPeanuts for fifty years Written by Jerilyn Watson (THEME) VOICE ONE: Im Barbara Klein. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about Charles M. Schulz who

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Great Writers: Flannery O'Connor Told of Small-Town Life in the South Written by Richard Thorman (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: I'm Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And I'm Ray Freeman with the VOA Special English program, People in America. Today, we tell about wri

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Eleanor Roosevelt Was the Most Influential Wife of Any American President (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And Im Shirley Griffith with People in America in VOA Special English. Today, we tell about the woman who was the most influential

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Written by - George Grow (THEME) VOICE ONE: Im Doug Johnson. VOICE TWO: Barbara McClintock And Im Barbara Klein with PEOPLE IN AMERICA in VOA Special English. Today, we tell about Barbara McClintock. She was one of the most important scientists of th

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

VOICE ONE: Im Sarah Long. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today, we tell the story of Jack Benny. He was one of Americas best-loved funnymen during the Twentieth Century. (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Jack B

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Louis Khan Helped Define Modern Architecture Written by Dana Demange VOICE ONE: Im Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And Im Barbara Klein with the VOA Special English program, People in America. Today, we tell about Louis Kahn. He is considered one of the most

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(69) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Cesar Chavez Organized the First Successful Farm Workers Union in America Written by Robert Brumfield (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Nicole Nichols. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with the VOA Special English Program, People in America. Today we tell about one

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Writer Dorothy West: Last Living Member of Harlem Renaissance Written by Doreen Baingana (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: I'm Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And I'm Steve Ember with the Special English Program, PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Every week, we tell about a person w

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Arthur Ashe: Tennis Champion and Civil Rights ActivistWritten by Vivian Chakarian (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Barbara Klein. VOICE TWO: Arthur Ashe And Im Steve Ember with People in America, in VOA Special English. Today we tell about the life of tennis ch

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

George Abbott was known as Mister Broadway Written by Nancy Steinbach (Theme) VOICE ONE: I'm Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And I'm Steve Ember with the Special English program. People in America. Every week we tell about a person important in the hist

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(69) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Stephen Foster, 1826-1864: America's First Popular Songwriter He wrote more than two hundred songs during the eighteen forties and eighteen fifties. VOICE ONE: I'm Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And I'm Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(103) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事