Billie Holiday, 1915-1959: The Lady Sang the Blues She was one of the greatest jazz singers in America. VOICE ONE: I'm Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: Billie Holiday And I'm Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program, PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Every week

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Barbara Jordan, 1936-1996: A Powerful Voice for Justice and Social Change Jordan was the first African-American woman elected to the United States Congress to represent Texas. VOICE ONE: I'm Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And I'm Sarah Long with People in A

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Broadcast: December 12, 2004 (THEME) VOICE ONE: I'm Faith Lapidus. VOICE TWO: And I'm Steve Ember with People in America in VOA Special English. Today, we finish the story of the writer William Faulkner. He created an area and filled it with people o

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(68) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

By Cynthia Kirk Broadcast: October 17, 2004 (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: I'm Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And I'm Shirley Griffith with the VOA Special English program PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today, we tell about pianist John Lewis. He created one of one of the most fam

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

By William Rogers Broadcast: January 23, 2005 ANNCR: People in America, a program in Special English on the Voice of America. (Theme) Today, Shep O'Neal and Warren Scheer finish the story of civil right's leader, Reverend Martin Luther King, Junior.

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Written by Cynthia Kirk (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Mary Tillotson. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program, PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today, we tell about writer Langston Hughes, who has been called the poet voice of African Americans.

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Susan B. Anthony: She Fought for U.S. Women's Right to Vote Written by Shelley Gollust (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: People in America, a program in Special English on the Voice of America. In the eighteen-fifties, women in the United States began to try to gai

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Douglas MacArthur: Born to Be a SoldierWritten by Paul Thompson (MUSIC) ANNCR: Now, the VOA Special English program PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today Rich Kleinfeldt and Sarah Long tell about one of the most unusual and successful American military leaders, G

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

With His Saxophone, Charlie Parker Took Jazz in a New DirectionWritten by Vivian Bournazian (THEME) VOICE ONE: I'm Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And I'm Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program, People in America. Today, we tell about one of A

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

'Happy Days Are Here Again':FDR, One of America's Greatest Presidents Written by - Shelley Gollust (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about one of the gre

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

George Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue Written by - Shelley Gollust (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Barbara Klein. VOICE TWO: George Gershwin And Im Steve Ember with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about the life and music of one of America'

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

(MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And Im Doug Johnson with the VOA Special English program, PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today, we tell about the life of writer and reporter, Carl Rowan. He was one of the most honored reporters in the United S

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

VOICE ONE: I'm Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And Im Barbara Klein with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about Aaron Copland, one of Americas best modern music composers. (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Aaron Copland wrote many kinds of music. He

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Written by Jill Moss (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Barbara Klein. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about a writer who helped influence modern culture. Her name was Susan Sontag. (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Sus

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

F.Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby Was a Major Event in American Literature Written by Richard Thorman (THEME) VOICE ONE: I'm Shirley Griffith. VOICE TWO: And I'm Steve Ember with the Special English program, People in America. Every week, we tell

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Ralph Ellison's 1952 Book, Invisible Man, Won Awards and is Still Discussed Today Written by Richard Thorman (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: I'm Faith Lapidus. VOICE TWO: And I'm Steve Ember with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about write

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Writer Zora Neale Hurston told About African-American Life in the South Written by Cynthia Kirk (THEME) VOICE ONE: Im Mary Tillotson. VOICE TWO: And Im Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today, we tell about writer Zo

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(30) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Milton Berle was Mister Television to the Millions of Americans Who Watched Him VOICE ONE: I'm Mary Tillotson. VOICE TWO: Milton Berle And I'm Doug Johnson with the VOA Special English program PEOPLE IN AMERICA. Today, we tell the story of Milton Ber

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Jane Jacobs, 1916-2006: Her Activism Helped Shape the Look and Feel of Cities Her most influential book was The Death and Life of Great American Cities. VOICE ONE: I'm Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And I'm Barbara Klein with People in America in VOA Specia

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(316) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

Lrving Berlin, 1888-1989: He Wrote Songs that Made America Sing White Christmas and God Bless America were two of the most popular songs in the U.S. VOICE ONE: I'm Phoebe Zimmerman. VOICE TWO: And I'm Steve Ember with the VOA Special English program

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(130) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事