Monsters! 有怪兽! by Kevin Lustig From time to time, animals are born with mutations like extra limbs, strange deformities, or even additional heads. In ancient Rome, this frightful event was believed to be an omen that bad things were on the

发表于:2018-12-08 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 常春藤解析英语

AA: I'm Avi Arditti with Rosanne Skirble, and this week on WORDMASTER: our guest is writer Michael Erard, author of a new book called Um... MICHAEL ERARD: People who have studied speech patterns notice that there are really two groups of people: one

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 词汇大师(Wordmaster)

by Michael W. Flynn Today, I will answer the most common question I have received since I began this podcast: why do I include the following annoying disclaimer at the beginning of every episode: Although I am an attorney, the legal information in th

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 法律英语 Legal Lad

Grammar Girl here. I know I promised that the next episode would be about apostrophes, but Zach wrote in with a grammar emergency tied to the execution of Saddam Hussein. I'm sure we all realize there are more important aspects to this story than rep

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 英语语法 Grammar Girl

Grammar Girl here. Todays topic is cement versus concrete. Guest writer Sal Glynn writes: Accuracy is important. You might think concrete and cement are interchangeable, but you'll quickly find that you're mistaken when some guy at Home Depot rolls h

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(82) / 评论(0) 分类 英语语法 Grammar Girl

Grammar Girl here. Today's topic is dragged versus drug. I've been renovating a condo, and last week I posted a message on Twitter that started out with the sentence I drug myself over to the condo. I was sharing this bit of information to get to the

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 英语语法 Grammar Girl

Grammar Girl here. In honor of the increased show production schedule, today's topic is biweekly versus semiweekly. How to Remember the Definitions of Bi- and Semi- The prefixes bi- and semi- are different. Bi- means two and semi- means half. You can

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语语法 Grammar Girl

Grammar Girl here. Todays topic concerns three sets of words that are easy to confuse: all together (two words) and altogether (one word), all ready (two words) and already (one word), and all right (two words) and alright (one word). As well see sho

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英语语法 Grammar Girl

Some pairs of words are used interchangeably, even indiscriminately. Often the words in question sound similar, and that creates confusion. Other times they are simply misused so frequentlyowing to their similarity of meaning, despite a nuanced diffe

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(53) / 评论(0) 分类 英语语法 Grammar Girl

Grammar Girl here. Today were going to recall that the principal is indeed your pal, but well also see that a principal can be so much more. In this episode well talk about the various ways to use principlethats p-l-eand principalthats p-a-l. (These

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(60) / 评论(0) 分类 英语语法 Grammar Girl

Gal Gamers Geekier Than Guys A study in the Journal of Communication found that women who engage in a role-playing game online actually spend more time in the alternate reality than the guy players do. Karen Hopkin reports Picture a gamer, someone wh

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(91) / 评论(0) 分类 60秒科学

by Jason Marshall Do you remember your very first encounter with numbers? No, I dont either. But I imagine it might have involved someone pointing to each of my fingers in turn, and with great fanfare, counting aloud: One, Two, Three, Four, Five! And

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(99) / 评论(0) 分类 数学英语

From VOA Learning English, this is Everyday Grammar. Imagine you are at a business meeting. You have just presented a plan to your business partners. They want to give suggestions for how to make your plan better. The conversation might sound like th

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 2017年VOA慢速英语(二)月

A: My name is Mary, and I will be your waitress tonight. B: Thank you, Mary. We have been looking forward to trying out this restaurant. A: Before your main course, would you like to order an appetizer? B: Sure, that sounds great. Where are your appe

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 英语情景对话-餐厅

BBC Learning English London Life Grumpy Londoners Jackie: Hello, welcome to London Life with BBC Learning English and me, Jackie Dalton. Growling pussycat Jackie: Do you ever feel a bit like this in the morning? Well you're not the only one and it's

发表于:2019-01-16 / 阅读(72) / 评论(0) 分类 伦敦生活

The environmental group Greenpeace has claimed to have driven Japan's controversial whaling fleet out of Antarctic hunting grounds after a dramatic chase through thick fog and rough seas. Activists have promised to harass the Japanese fleet and disru

发表于:2019-02-04 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA双语新闻 2008年1月

Fred: I can tell you guys about a very scary spider that once entered my house. Todd: Oh, really. Fred: Yeah, so my roommate and I are sitting next to the kitchen and then we just look around the kitchen and then we look up to the wall and we see thi

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

By the year 2, 020 I want to look at what we did So we can stand up all together 'Cause we put an end to it And there'll be no more pointless fighting No more money running it Bring back love Bring back love Bring back love again Yeah I was standing

发表于:2019-02-11 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 金属

Todd: We're talking about family this week and you have a sister, correct? Santi: Yes, a sister. Todd: Now, what's kind of unique about your sister is you both are similar in age and you go to university together, correct? Santi: Yes, only two years

发表于:2019-02-14 / 阅读(51) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

A Canadian official delegation visited the oil sands boomtown of Fort McMurray Monday. It was led by Alberta Premier Rachel Notley. She toured the area devastated by wildfires, praised first responders for their efforts, and vowed to rebuild lost str

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 cctv9英语新闻2016年