MICHEL MARTIN, HOST: Finally today, a bold theatrical experiment turns 20. (SOUNDBITE OF SONG, CIRCLE OF LIFE) UNIDENTIFIED SINGER #1: (Singing) Nants ingonyama bagithi baba. UNIDENTIFIED SINGERS: (Singing) Sithi uhhmm ingonyama. MARTIN: When directo

发表于:2018-12-02 / 阅读(78) / 评论(0) 分类 2017年NPR美国国家公共电台10月

Back in ancient times, philosophers like Aristoteles were early speculating about the origin of taste and how the tongue sends elements of taste, like sweet and bitter, salty and sour. What we discovered just a few years ago is that a region of the b

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年Scientific American(十一)月

Before I start today's podcast, I would like to mention a little something about the title of yesterday's podcast. One of my listeners, called Bahareh, asked me to explain the expression Super Duper Slither Scooter. First of all, the scooter is just

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

AUDIE CORNISH, HOST: Public health officials are increasingly worried about a strain of bird flu virus that's circulating in China. In the last nine months it's sickened more than 700 people, and about 40 percent of them died. Now a team of researche

发表于:2019-01-17 / 阅读(26) / 评论(0) 分类 2017年NPR美国国家公共电台6月

(SOUNDBITE OF POEM, IF I UNDERSTOOD YOU, WOULD I HAVE THIS LOOK ON MY FACE?) ALAN ALDA: (Reading) People are dying because we can't communicate in ways that allow us to understand one another. That sounds like an exaggeration, but I don't think it is

发表于:2019-01-17 / 阅读(77) / 评论(0) 分类 2017年NPR美国国家公共电台6月

Understanding Abu Ghraib 阿布格莱布监狱始建于上个世纪70年代,在萨达姆时期是用来关押伊拉克平民的监狱,萨达姆政府曾在此关押过因涉嫌与1982年杜贾尔村针对萨达姆的未遂暗杀案有关的平民,

发表于:2019-03-09 / 阅读(94) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest