There is a kind of tribalism in us all which can make us feel uneasy, even threatened at times by difference. But our prejudices often tell us more about ourselves than we would like to admit. When the Quran says we have made you into nations and tri

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 社会—In the Community

To be compassionate is, if we take the word to bits, to suffer with another, to feel their suffering almost as if it is our own. So someone can work hard to relieve suffering, and be highly skilled in doing so, without thereby exhibiting compassion -

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

In the front gardens, even in the rain, I notice the first signs of spring and the greyness of winter giving way to small yellow white and purple flowers. Spring is rising in all the animals which include us humans. So we smile good mornings to our n

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

With Parliament in recess, we don't hear much from our political masters. 在国会休会期间,政治精英们没有发表太多言论, MP's, as well as many business leaders, are on holiday. 议员和商界领导正在度假。 I hope they have

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Some of the parents I know with teenage children who use cannabis are fairly relaxed about what's happening. 在我认识的父母中,有些并不在意孩子吸食大麻。 It isn't doing any harm, one tells me, Alcohol's much worse. 这又没什么

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

In a pre-flight news conference in the summer of 1969 1969年夏天,在一次飞行前的新闻发布会上 Neil Armstrong said, I think we're going to the moon because it is in the nature of the human being to face challenges. 尼尔阿姆斯特朗说

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Two weeks ago a young Christian girl, Rimsha Masih was detained in Pakistan near the capital Islamabad. 两周前,一名年轻的基督教女孩里姆沙马希赫在巴基斯坦首都伊斯兰马巴德附近被捕。 The girl who is in her early te

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Whether we expand existing towns or build new cities it begs the question about how we build an environment that helps us live in harmony with each other and with the natural world, upon which we depend for our existence.The history of the earth told

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(29) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

The road to peace and reconciliation is a complex and painful process, whether in national or indeed individual conflicts. It involves the conquering of fear, the dealing with bitterness and outrage, and the building of trust. It can be supported or

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Everyone loves a bargain, as those restaurant chains which offer you special all you can eat deals for a fixed price know all too well. In Pakistan a pizza company had been doing a roaring trade during the Muslim month of fasting. Families who were r

The sight of a grown woman lying on the floor, her wrist pinned down by the foot of someone who was supposed to be caring for her was one of the more shocking images that emerged from Winterbourne View, 一个成年女子躺在地板上,她的手腕被

The sight of a grown woman lying on the floor, her wrist pinned down by the foot of someone who was supposed to be caring for her was one of the more shocking images that emerged from Winterbourne View, the private hospital which was home to 44 peopl

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

When I'm sitting in the Multi-faith Centre at the Athlete's Village I can look around at the diverse representation of humanity I am with. 我坐在运动员村的宗教多元中心,环顾四周,看见了形形色色、各具代表的人。 We ar

J. K. Galbraith once said, Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists of choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable. He could have been speaking of the decisions we keep putting off about how we pay for future care of the elderly.

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

On the train yesterday I sat next to a family with some very excited children who were off on holiday. You couldn't help being caught up in their sense of excitement and anticipation. I know just how they feel. I keep wanting to say: Are we there yet

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Over the last few days we have seen and been reminded of two massacres. Last weekend Norway remembered the first anniversary of the 77 victims of a bomb and gun shooting. During a brief television clip a young Norwegian man said that this tragedy had

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Newspaper obituaries are a useful window onto history and reading accounts of the life of the late politician Alf Morris this week reminded me just how different Britain was 50 years ago before Morris and fellow MP Jack Ashley championed the disabled

A burglary is often described as being a violation. And it's a good word for it because it's not just about what is physically taken, it's about what is emotionally done to the person being robbed. I had suffered no physical assault, but when I sat d

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(62) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

One of the features in common between the phone hacking scandal, the various banking scams and the latest row, over the failure of G4S, is that the men at the top claim not to have known what was going on. OK, you can't expect the top person to know

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(63) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

For the first time, scientists have identified two clusters of genes directly linked to human intelligence. 科学家们首次发现,大脑中存在两个与人类智力直接相关的基因集群。 Called M1 and M3, these so-called 'gene networks

发表于:2019-02-01 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间