So, as we continued walking through the city, I played a game, trying to separate what I thought was inspired by a true faith in God, and what was not. It quickly became difficult: for every almshouse there was a wealthy patron who'd paid for it; the

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(55) / 评论(0) 分类 社会—In the Community

Last week, I was in Bruges. We were standing in front of yet another unbelievably stunning painting by the Flemish artist Hans Memling, in a 12th century hospital built specifically for the poor, when my daughter said: Oh no. Another picture of Jesus

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(94) / 评论(0) 分类 社会—In the Community

Deciphering the hidden meanings found in words, symbols and phrases. No, not the Da Vinci Code, but the real life crime-fighting taking place at the FBI. NBC's Pete Williams has more. What was in a letter sent from jail by Joseph Smith, while awaiti

发表于:2018-12-11 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 万花筒2007年

Chinese reluctance to read deeply underlines the nation's recent departure from the era of subsistence and its current obsession with affluence. On a flight from Frankfurt to Shanghai, an Indian engineer noticed row after row of Chinese passengers de

发表于:2018-12-18 / 阅读(29) / 评论(0) 分类 英语美文

Last Friday a distinguished Anglican clergyman, the Rev Paul Oestreicher, told us that in his opinion Jesus Christ was probably gay because of his affection for his beloved apostle St John. Next day, however, the former Tory MP and Times columnist Ma

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Being here in Edinburgh on the opening day of the International Book Festival feels like the perfect place to celebrate words and stories, 在国际图书节开幕的这天,在爱丁堡歌颂语言和小说是再适合不过的了, especially as

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

As a boy I'd have been in dead trouble if I'd ever used the name of Jesus as a swear word at home. Blasphemy just wasn't tolerated, even though my parents were non-believers. The boundaries between acceptable and unacceptable language are shifting al

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(59) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Science and technology. 科技。 Age and wisdom. 年龄与智慧。 Older and wiser? 姜是老的辣? Americans get wiser with age. Japanese are wise from the start. 美国人年龄越大越聪明。日本人从小就聪明。 ONE stereotype of wi

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 经济学人商业系列

英语文摘欣赏 Once there was a great Sufi saint. In his last days, someone asked him about his master. Saint said, Since you asked I will certainly tell you about three masters. 曾经有一位伟大的苏菲派(伊斯兰神秘主义派别的总

发表于:2019-01-03 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间

作为一名骇客和作家,Joshua Klein对乌鸦们的智慧感到神奇(你可曾注意过它们那小小的黑眼睛中蕴藏的智慧光芒?)。他在很长一段的业余时间里对乌鸦群的行为进行观察后,想出了一个堪称优雅

发表于:2019-01-05 / 阅读(91) / 评论(0) 分类 TED公开课:生态谜云

Isn't it amazing how one person, sharing one idea, at the right time and place can change the course of your life's history? This is certainly what happened in my life. When I was 14, I was hitchhiking from Houston, Texas, through El Paso on my way t

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 实用英语

My father is one of the wisest men I know. Over the past year he has been dispensing bits of wisdom to friends, business partners and family members via his Facebook wall and private Twitter stream. Id share some of his advice with you today. 我的父

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(95) / 评论(0) 分类 励志英语

Let your children see you do things for your wife, that lets them know how much you love and treasure her. 让孩子们看到你为妻子效劳,让他们感觉到你对妻子的爱和珍惜。 Make

发表于:2019-02-01 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 英文名句短语

No matter how old you get, hug and kiss your mother whenever you greet her. 不管你有多大,向母亲致意的最好方法就是,投入她的怀抱,亲吻她的脸颊。 Temper, if ungoverned

发表于:2019-02-01 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 英文名句短语

Q: What is the highest form of intelligence? 提问:智慧的最高形式是什么? 获得9.7k好评的答案@Vivek Nagarajan The ability to transfer it to someone who lacks it. 把智慧传递给那些缺乏它的人。 获得8.8k好评的答案

发表于:2019-02-01 / 阅读(26) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间

Optimists are wiser than their pessimistic peers, and bitterness keeps a person from being wise because they haven't learned lessons, Canadian researchers say. 加拿大研究人员称,整日忧心忡忡的人不如那些天性乐观的人聪明,因

发表于:2019-02-01 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间

1. You never really say goodbye 1.你永远不会真正说再见 It is sad, unsettling, and a really uncomfortable feeling to be okay for days, weeks, and years, rarely ever thinking about them or their voice or their face. Then suddenly, bam, there

发表于:2019-02-01 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间

Science and technology 科学技术 Age and wisdom 年龄与智慧 Older and wiser? 姜是老的辣? Americans get wiser with age. Japanese are wise from the start 美国人年龄越大越聪明。日本人从小就聪明 ONE stereotype of wisdom i

发表于:2019-02-16 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 经济学人科技系列

Science and technology 科学技术 Age and wisdom 年龄与智慧 Older and wiser? 姜是老的辣? Americans get wiser with age. Japanese are wise from the start 美国人年龄越大越聪明。日本人从小就聪明 ONE stereotype of wisdom i

发表于:2019-02-16 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 经济学人科技系列

I have always worn my children's birthstones around my neck. One morning, when I was late for work, my infant son Larry's topaz birthstone fell from my gold chain. I frantically searched for it, whispering to myself, I lost my Larry, but I will get h

发表于:2019-02-20 / 阅读(137) / 评论(0) 分类 卡卡课堂早餐英语