William Shakespeare wrote of the seven ages of man, starting with the puking infant and the whining school boy, through the lover, the soldier, the authority of the middle aged justice, then the slippered pantaloon, ending with the dependency of old

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 社会—In the Community

Monsters, unfortunately, sometimes refuse to stay dead. Diseases once eradicated can creep back and strike at the most vulnerable in countries least equipped to deal with them. And slavery itself blights many lives today. It's prohibited, of course,

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

I'm hesitant here to quote anyone from the Bible because recently when I mentioned a saying of Jesus someone objected that he had never run anything in his life. The same's true of St Paul. But writing to the well-off in the city of Corinth about hel

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

What is a Caucus-race? asked Alice during her adventure in Wonderland. The Dodo explained. 什么是会议式赛跑?爱丽丝在梦游仙境中问到。渡渡鸟解释道。 First you mark out a racecourse, though the shape of it doesn't really mat

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(29) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

You can become more fearful and protective of your lifestyle and your loved ones or you come to terms with the fact that open and tolerant societies will always come with their own risks. These societies flourish because we put our trust in people, i

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

The London Olympics has given us new vocabulary: ORNs and PRNs. Or as we've been hearing, Olympic Road Network and Paralympic Road Network. And as from today London commuters travelling along the Olympic network will have to beware of the 30 miles of

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

A former cabinet minister once infamously described the homeless as the people you step over when you're coming out of the opera. As reprehensible a joke as it is, his words are about to be thrown back at him, or rather sung back, by the kind of peop

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

A few years ago my middle son who was around seven years old at the time, had cycled away from home without telling anyone. 几年前,七岁左右的儿子一声不吭地骑车离开了家。 It was a mild summer evening and there were many childre

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Whatever happened to the silly season? 今年的新闻饥荒期是怎么回事? You know, that time of the year when the wisdom of the 1st century poet Horace is adopted by news editors, 新闻饥荒期,众所周知,就是每年记者们对公元

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

The original Olympic Games were far from being a meaningless tribute to ancient pagan Gods, Zeus and his many relations. 原奥运会从一个毫无意义的赞扬古代异教的神,宙斯和他的许多关系。 The ancient Greeks can still help u

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Risk is endemic in human affairs. To say to someone I love you or to say in church I believe can never be risk-free undertakings. They are to make investments in things that are not fully under one's control. The other person may not love you back. T

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

I was attending a workshop on women and violence. One told her story. She was 18 and visiting a farm with her boyfriend. Alone together, they had sex even though she didn't want to. Guilt-ridden, humiliated and demeaned, why didn't she report it? Bec

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(71) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

It was the late 70s and we thought him almost a god, my school friends Helen and Anne and I. An actor-director undergraduate, impossibly tall, dark and drop dead gorgeous, he co-hosted a party every summer for which all the guests had to dress in whi

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

The Bible's boring, everyone knows that. Phares begat Esrom and Esrom begat Aram and Aram begat Aminadab. When I was teaching public bible reading in our church, I made the lesson readers practice with a telephone directory, to learn how to make it i

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(67) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Yesterday the Health Secretary announced his social care reform plan. The reforms have been adopted from an earlier commission which grappled with the soaring cost of residential care. While the State is considering the cost of care for a growing ove

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(72) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

Each year the serious depression affects 6% of UK adults and 121 million people worldwide. At some time in our lives, one in six of us will experience an episode and the World Health Organisation predicts by 2020 depression will be the largest single

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(53) / 评论(0) 分类 智慧人生篇章

巴瑞.斯瓦兹激情的呼吁,用实践的智慧作为解药,来拯救这个被官僚愚弄的社会。他激烈的争辩说,规则条例常常让我们失望,很多动机也都事与愿违,而实际的日常生活的智慧却可以帮助我

发表于:2019-01-05 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 TED公开课:世界权势大转移

16.Keep it simple. There is a world of magnificence hidden in simplicity. Pick the five most important things in your life now and focus on those things. Let the other stuff go. Stop the busyness and really enjoy whats important to you. 简单化。有

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(91) / 评论(0) 分类 励志英语

虽然从普罗大众中筛选出智者并不是什么艰巨的任务,但科学还是为我们提供了一些方法来分辨出聪明人和不那么聪明的人。世界范围的研究和调查显示,你可以依照以下几点特征弄清你的小

发表于:2019-02-01 / 阅读(29) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间

上海世博会:中国馆将如何展示中华智慧? 中国馆将通过一条精心设计的游览线索,向参观者展示城市发展中的中华智慧。展馆设计以中国城市化中几亿人进城为序幕,凸显近三十年以来中国

发表于:2019-02-02 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 实用英语