Transcript by the Prime Minister and Taoiseach for Internet broadcast on Northern Ireland, 20/04/00 Prime Minister I want to talk today about a subject on which I've probably spent almost as much time as anything else since I became Prime Minister -

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(91) / 评论(0) 分类 布莱尔首相演讲

Northern Ireland Lessons Offered to Afghanistan On the surface, there would seem to be little in common between these Taliban fighters preparing to attack a NATO base -- and the youths in Northern Ireland attacking British policemen. But the ethnic a

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2012年(十月)

Abortion Law Vote Polarizes Ireland 爱尔兰将立法允许有限合法堕胎 After marathon debates this week in parliament, lawmakers voted 127 to 31 to allow abortions when a woman's life is in danger. The decision follows months of debate. Campa

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2013年(七月)

RACHEL MARTIN, HOST: It's a new era for Sinn Fein. That's the political party that has fought for a united, independent Ireland. Sinn Fein had close ties to the Irish Republican Army during three decades of violence in Northern Ireland known as the T

发表于:2019-01-16 / 阅读(26) / 评论(0) 分类 2018年NPR美国国家公共电台3月

Joel: So, if I go to Ireland, what kind of food do you recommend that I eat? Ruth: The nicest things are probably Irish stew, which is made with lamb and also it's quite famous for it's seafood. Every year in Galway, there's an oyster festival. Joel:

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

His memory would be obliterated by events which would create Ireland's first and most enduring cult of personality. It is the story of a spiritual revolution born in an age of imperial collapse. Since the beginning of the fifth century, barbarian att

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

This type of inscribed stone is usually found only in Ireland or the far western fringes of Britain. These lines represent the oldest form of the Irish language. Michael, what is this stone? Well, it is a small Roman column, but what's very different

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

It seems the Romans did briefly contemplate an invasion until trouble in Scotland called the legions away. And so Ireland was never subordinated to Roman law or government. But they didn't need to dispatch an army to exert an influence that extended

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

A geographer living under Caesars rule described the Irish as a cannibal race who deemed it commendable to devour their deceased fathers and who lived a miserable existence because of the cold. But Mediterranean traders had long been immune to such d

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

The murdered man from the Meath bog reveals something of how the Irish lived several hundreds years before Christ. Their gods were the gods of nature whom they appeased with sacrifice. They had developed a social organisation with kings at the pinnac

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

There is an Ireland shrouded in clich, of heroes and villains, lost battles and sad songs. Perched on the margins of Europe, a claustrophobic island cut off from the world, its people turned in upon themselves, victims of their own ancient hatreds an

Here they constructed a memorial which celebrated revolution, faith and an idealized ancient world. At its center, this sculpture of the mythical Children of Lir condemned by an evil stepmother to wander the oceans as swans until the coming of Christ

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

-I remember one kid said, Sir, that doesn't make any sense? I said, How do you mean it doesn't make any sense? I said, Carson wanted the union of Ireland and Britain, he wanted what, for him, was the best thing for Ireland. Now can you say that he is

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

The Vikings who would eventually descend on Ireland had their ancestral roots here in Norway. From these fjords, they created a maritime empire that stretched from the shores of America in the west to central Russia in the east. The Viking world of t

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(23) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

Tell me what happens when the monks arrive. Well, they would have, first of all, made their way to the local king, the local lord, or something like that, because you couldnt just arrive off the next available flight and announce, hi, Im your new loc

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

And this is the great settlement of Clonmacnoise. As you sweep around this turn in the river Shannon, you get the round towers, the churches and everything. You get the first idea that this is a really substantial monastic foundation. How did we arri

发表于:2019-01-23 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 探索与发现2012年

What it says is that the Irish are the centre of the world. Theyre not a small insignificant people. It was woven together in the 11th century from earlier sources as a statement of Irish uniqueness. They didnt want to be seen as peripheral people li

By Selah Hennessy London 02 October 2009 A voter casts their vote in north Dublin, 02 Oct 2009 Irish voters headed to the polls Friday to decide on a referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty. Observers say turn-out has been slow on a vote th

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(30) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(十月)

The Irish government may be heading towards collapse after agreeing to a bailout from the European Union and the International Monetary Fund. Prime Minister Brian Cowen said he will call an election for early next year, but some politicians in Irelan

发表于:2019-02-19 / 阅读(77) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(十一)月

By VOA News 12 October 2009 US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen in Dublin, 11 Oct 2009 U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is meeting with Northern Ireland's political leaders in Belfast Monday. The talks c

发表于:2019-02-20 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(十月)