“Detective Poirot” Takes His Final Bow Sir Peter Ustinov, a brilliant wit and mimic who won two Oscars for an acting career that ranged from the evil Nero in Quo Vadis to the detective Poirot in D

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(71) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙2004全年合辑下

Sneakers I always admire people who exercise. In particular, older folks who make exercise a daily routine. At 75, Jack was truly an inspiration 1 . There was a pond in the middle of this beautiful pa

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(185) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙2004全年合辑上

Detour to Romance Located in the checkroom 2 in Union Station as I am, I see everybody that comes up the stairs. Harry came in a little over three years ago and waited at the head of the stairs for th

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙2004全年合辑上

The Puppy Express The Topps stood on the shoulder 1 of the road and watched as their truck's engine shuddered 2 and died. Nancy and Joe, their two children, Jodi, twelve, and Matthew, fifteen, and the

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙2004全年合辑上

Under The Whether 1 It has been so bitterly cold here in Pennsylvania. I can't remember a winter being as cold as this, but I'm sure there were colder days. Even though the daylight hours are growing

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(331) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙2004全年合辑上

TRUST Last night I was driving from Harrisburg to Lewisburg,Pa.,a distance of about eighty miles.It was late.I was late and if anyone asked me how fast I was driving,I'd have to plead1) the Fifth Amendment2) to avoid self-incrimination3

发表于:2018-12-06 / 阅读(30) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

Sam’s Purpose For years now, I have held the hands of the dying. “How can you bear it?” people ask me. “ Hospice 1 nursing must be so difficult. How can you stand to be around so much sufferin

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(194) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙2004全年合辑下

Nice Try My wife and I were stopped by a state policeman. He started to write up a speeding ticket. My wife, whos a hair stylist, said, If you let us off with a warning, Ill give you a free haircut for a year. The policeman removed his hat--and he wa

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

Now I can go home One day after school the teacher said to his students,Tomorrow morning,if any one of you can answer my first question.I'll permit him or her to go home earlier. The next day,when the teacher came into the classroom,he fo

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

Humor Mother:Susie,every time you misbehave,I get another gray hair. Susie:Gosh,mom,you must have been a terror.Just look at Grandma. 幽 默 母亲:苏茜,每次你表现不好,我就多长一根白头发。 苏茜:天哪,妈

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

Fresh Richer A fresh richer is purchasing coffin in the store for the death.A person asks him:Which one is better?He says:Of course the zinc1)-filled is more durable2),but the wooden is helpful to the health. 新 贵 一个新贵在墓葬

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

How names are called in America People generally call each other by their first names much sooner in their acquaintance than people do in other walks of life.Taking that liberty too soon has closed many doors for the offender.Therefore,one must sense

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

May 31 Flowers of May In the Philippines,May is a time of in tense festivity.All month,school children assemble bouquets1) and floral2) offerings and take them to church.Meanwhile,girls elected to serve as festival queens parade through the

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(69) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

The Wedding Dance The hand that clasps mine is not that of the child I can still remember,but that of the man he has become.From that hand to his face to the smile he beams at me,he is his father in days gone by.We move gracefully across the

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(104) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

A gently Caress Michael and I hardly noticed when the waitress came and placed the plates on our table.We were seated in a small deli tucked away2) from the bustle3) of Third Street,in New York City. Our exchange was lively,if not profound.

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(145) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

Message Mom,I came when you were out. I knew the key was still placed in the interstice Between the wall and the mailbox. I examined the floor under the wardrobe1) and found the secret You took out and hid back every night, A nanmu2) case.I

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(90) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

The Old Man and the Dog Saying goodbye to Meg was the hardest thing Ive ever done.Shed been part of my life for so long,always there when I needed her. Throughout the last fifteen years,she d been my closest friend,sharing my joy and sadnes

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(97) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

A Terrific Class The first day of school began on a bright note for a teacher who was glancing over the class roll.After each students name was a number,such as 138,140,154 and so on.Look at these IQs ,she thought to herself.Theyve give

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(107) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

How High Can You Jump? Flea1) trainers have observed a strange habit of fleas while training them.Fleas are trained by putting them in a cardboard box with a top on it.The fleas will jump up and hit the top of the cardboard box over and over and over

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(203) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙

April Fools Day While popular in the U.S.,the April Fool' s Day tradition is even more prevalent1) in European countries,such as France and Great Britain.Althought he roots of the traditional trickings are unclear,the French and the British both have

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(121) / 评论(0) 分类 英语沙龙