by Mignon Fogarty Today's topic is how to use colons. The podcast edition of this article was sponsored by GoToMeeting. With this meeting service, you can hold your meetings over the Internet and give presentations, product demos, and training sessio

发表于:2018-12-01 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 跟谢孟媛学语法

LAUREN FRAYER, HOST: It's 1992. Your hair is gelled up, you're sporting high-tops, maybe still listening to Run-DMC on cassette, and that's the setting for a new coming-of-age novel that's also a look at race in America. The book, titled Green, follo

发表于:2018-12-02 / 阅读(88) / 评论(0) 分类 2018年NPR美国国家公共电台1月

A: I'm Avi Arditti with Rosanne Skirble, and this week on WORDMASTER: our guest is linguist Geoff Nunberg. He's been listening to how Americans debate issues, and there's a particular word he often finds they invoke: sensitivities. GEOFF NUNBERG: It'

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(68) / 评论(0) 分类 词汇大师(Wordmaster)

Making a good introduction to your presentation is key to getting your audiences attention. This Business English Podcast episode looks at the language used in making an internal presentation during a videoconference and particularly the language use

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 商务英语演讲课

Signposting is informing listeners about what is to be presented in a presentation, and constantly informing listeners as to where they are during that presentation. The term signposting comes from signs posted on street corners, which tell travelers

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 商务英语演讲课

Making your Introduction is a preview of our upcoming audio / ebook on presentations skills and language. In this first chapter we take a look at how to make a good start as well as at the overall structure of a presentation. This recording is a re-e

发表于:2018-12-05 / 阅读(108) / 评论(0) 分类 商务英语演讲课

NATO Airstrikes on Libya Intensify NATO planes stepped up their bombing of Tripoli early Tuesday. A series of powerful explosions shook the Libyan capital Tripoli overnight after NATO warplanes carried out close to 20 bombing raids. Witnesses say man

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(五月)

A: What can I do for you? B: I need to know what time the library closes. A: The library will be closing at six. B: Does it close at six every day? A: No, it doesnt. B: Are you guys open on Saturdays? A: Yes, were open on Saturdays. B: What time does

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 英语情景对话-图书馆

A: Will I get notification that I qualify for unemployment? B: The Employment Development Office will send you a Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award letter. A: What is contained in that letter? B: In addition to telling you how much you will recei

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(49) / 评论(0) 分类 失业英语对话

Grammar Girl here. Today's topic is how to format questions. You think you already know this, don't you? I wonder if you're right. Everybody knows how write a plain vanilla question: What's new? They're called direct questions. But there are trickier

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 英语语法 Grammar Girl

By Patricia Nunan Kathmandu 25 April 2006 Thousands of people have rallied on the streets of Nepal's capital Kathmandu to celebrate the decision by King Gyanendra to reinstate parliament and allow opp

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(76) / 评论(0) 分类 2006年VOA标准英语(四月)

The United States on Monday welcomed the peaceful outcome of the week-long political crisis in Pakistan, saying it brought the country back from the brink of broader political upheaval. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made calls to key Pakis

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(三月)

A: May I ask you how much this position pays per year? B: This job pays sixty-five thousand dollars per year. A: What kind of benefits does this job have? B: This job provides full medical, dental, and disability. A: What type of vacation time do we

发表于:2019-01-15 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语情景对话-工作

It has been raining for the last five or six days in Central Otago. The rivers are high. The rivers flow into four big lakes in that area: Lake Hawea, Lake Te Anau, Lake Manapouri and Lake Wakatipu. Queenstown is on the shores of Lake Wakatipu. Roads

发表于:2019-02-03 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 新西兰英语

The school that my daughter attends is trying to decide whether or not to ban certain books, which some parents think are inappropriate . The school called a parents meeting to talk over the issue. At the meeting, one woman said: The books on this li

发表于:2019-02-05 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 地道美语播客

By Doug Levine Washington 20 January 2007 Singer and guitarist George Benson and vocalist Al Jarreau are no strangers to the Grammy Awards. Each has earned his share of Grammys over the years. As VOA's Doug Levine tells us, the duo's first album toge

发表于:2019-02-05 / 阅读(84) / 评论(0) 分类 2007年VOA标准英语(一月)

A leading Israeli human rights group says most of the people killed in Israel's offensive in Gaza eight months ago were civilians - many of them children. Those findings contradict statistics from the Israeli military, which has said most of the cas

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(九月)

Ethnic tensions continue to run high in Kenya where there have been threats of revenge following the deaths on Tuesday of at least 30 children and adults who had taken refuge in a church in the Rift Valley town of Eldoret. Diplomatic efforts, includi

发表于:2019-02-14 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA双语新闻 2008年1月

At his first press conference of the year, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said his cabinet will reflect on war history. This echoes Emperor Akihito's call for the nation to learn from history in his New Year speech. Abe says the Japanese gove

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(85) / 评论(0) 分类 cctv9英语新闻2015年

Tensions soared last week when Syria's President accused Israel of avoiding peace, foreign minister threatened that Israeli cities would be attacked in event of war Robert Berger | Jerusalem 07 February 2010 Benjamin Netanyahu Israel says it is exten

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(83) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(二月)