AA: I'm Avi Arditti with Rosanne Skirble, and this week on WORDMASTER: We talk with Allan Metcalf, author of the new book OK: The Improbable Story of America's Greatest Word. RS: And not just the greatest word, in his view. ALLAN METCALF: America's m

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 词汇大师(Wordmaster)

As It Is - Seeking 'Hidden Treasure' in Central Kenya 寻宝者在肯尼亚中部寻找隐藏的宝藏 Is there buried treasure in a cave in central Kenya? Reports of such have created great excitement in the village of Maraigushu. Some villagers eve

发表于:2018-12-11 / 阅读(55) / 评论(0) 分类 2014年VOA慢速英语(十)月

1. Air travel is starting to return to normal over European skies after massive disruptions due to ash from an erupting volcano in Iceland. Officials say it could be weeks before all stranded travelers will get to their destinations. The Internationa

发表于:2018-12-15 / 阅读(107) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2010(四月)

1. A suspious device discovered in the back of an Air France flight was a hoax according to an Air France official. The Boeing 777 was headed to Paris when its polit was reqused emergency landing early Sunday morning in Kenya. 2. An explosion explori

发表于:2018-12-15 / 阅读(102) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2015(十二)月

Man Arrested in Mail-Bomb Scare U.S. federal agents have arrested a man in Florida in connection with a series of mail bombs sent to critics of President Donald Trump, including Democratic Party politicians. U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions identi

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(26) / 评论(0) 分类 2018年VOA慢速英语(十)月

A really bizarre, unbelievable story is unfolding right now tonight, a story that garnered a lot of sympathy and admiration for a Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o all season long. It's apparently been exposed as a hoax by the website Deadspin.com. No

发表于:2018-12-19 / 阅读(49) / 评论(0) 分类 CNN2013年(一)月

But first, let's begin with some breaking news out of Pakistan. A drone attack on a house of a suspected Taliban leader. It happened in the city of Damadola, 14 people killed, including three foreigners. Now the Taliban threatening Afghanistan's run

发表于:2018-12-20 / 阅读(75) / 评论(0) 分类 CNN2009年(十)月

Dialogue : XiaoGao:So did you study for the test today? I was up all night studying for it, I hope I get a good grade. 小高:你认真看书准备考试了吗?我最晚熬了一宿,希望能考个好成绩呀! JingJing:Test? What test? I did

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(20) / 评论(0) 分类 英语PK台

April Fools Day is on the first of April every year. It is a day when people can play tricks, practical jokes and hoaxes on each other. No one really knows the exact origin of this day. The writer Mark Twain famously said: This is the day upon which

发表于:2018-12-29 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 英语课程学习计划和讲义

But even harder than the technological troubles are the political ones as preposterous as it might sound to many of us 但在技术难题之外 更复杂的是政治难题也许看起来有点荒谬 there are great many people claim that climate chan

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(23) / 评论(0) 分类 公众人物毕业演讲

What role did social media play in Russian efforts to influence the 2016 U.S. presidential election? We now know fake accounts created by Moscow reached more Americans than the total number of U.S. citizens who voted. For the record, the NewsHour has

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(25) / 评论(0) 分类 PBS访谈社会系列

He told supporters in Pennsylvania that he was keeping one promise after another, dismissing criticism as fake news by out of touch journalists. Mr Trump decided to skip the White House Correspondents Dinner - the first US leader to miss the event si

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

Hello everyone, I'm Catherine Callaway at the CNN center with a look at what's happening Now In The News. Work is proceeding in both the house and Senate on reaching a consensus health care reform bill. Democrats are meeting behind closed door to me

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 CNN2009年(十)月

1. President Bush is standing up for his Pentagon chief and defending his record. President says Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has his full support and deepest appreciation. The statement comes af

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(94) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2006

1. Flood fears in the Midwest are now moving downriver. The Illinois Army National Guard is helping with sandbagging duties in Quincy. And about 100 miles downriver, evacuations are underway in Grafton. A total of five deaths have been linked to the

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(96) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2008年6月

This is AP News Minute. Former acting Attorney General Sally Yates says she'd warned the White House that Russia had blackmailed former national security advisor Michael Flynn. Yates testified Monday to a Senate panel. President Trump followed with a

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2017(五)月

Todd: So Jonathan, I thought we would talk about UFOs. Jonathan: Sure. Todd: So do you believe in UFOs? Jonathan: I think that the chance that there is intelligent life in the universe is overwhelmingly likely. But I don't think they're constantly vi

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

Topic 1-Divorce cooling off period The people's court of An Yue county in Sichuan Province has granted a grace period of 3 months for couples going through divorce proceedings. The court says the cooling off period will help couples to reconsider the

发表于:2019-01-21 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 英语角-圆桌会议

World greenhouse gas emissions stayed flat for the third year in a row in 2016, thanks to falls in China, even as the pro-coal policies of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump mean uncertainty for the future, an international study said last Monday. 一项

发表于:2019-02-01 / 阅读(18) / 评论(0) 分类 实用英语

She is, without a shadow of doubt, the most famous ghost at one of Britains most haunted sites. 灰女士无疑是英国众多闹鬼景点中最著名的一个。 But does this murky photograph show the fabled Grey Lady of Dudley Castle or something

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻