Do you remember a few episodes ago, a podcast called Smoke to the North? We learned how to say that something is going on in a particular direction. Well, recently, we have had very bad fires to the West which are still burning. The photo on the blog

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

Beginners. Father's Day is celebrated here in the United States on the twenty first of June. It is a day when special attention is given to fathers. Shops are filled with cards of all sorts, thanking the fathers and grandfathers for being great peopl

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

Something has grown in my mother's kitchen this Winter. It is tall, beautiful, and bright red. If you're in the room, you can't help but * look at it. It's an amaryllis. It was given to her as a Christmas present, and she has been growing it from a b

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

I haven't ever had a reason to visit a podiatrist (which is what we call a foot doctor), until recently. I don't have any problem with my feet, thankfully. I suppose, over the years, the shoes that I have worn have been good enough to keep me out of

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(25) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

Every Tuesday, I volunteer to drive several kids from school to the local swimming pool. They go once a week* for six weeks for a full hour*. It's actually a new experience for my children to be able to swim during school hours; usually, P.E., or Phy

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

The Skagit Valley is a beautifully dreamy green valley located between the Cascade Mountains and the Puget Sound. It is very close to the border with Canada, and right next to the West Coast. I went there a few months ago with my husband, as he had a

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

It's no secret that boys of a certain age like guns, even if they are *make-believe. I remember that before my boys ever had any plastic weapons, they would use other toys, or even sticks, and pretend that they were guns. Perhaps they were influenced

发表于:2019-01-01 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

I have great neighbors. They are friendly, I trust them, and they are helpful. What more could I ask for in a neighborhood? As a friendly neighbor myself, I do what I can to keep my relationship with the people next door to me a positive one. The nei

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

图片1 Beginners. Andorra is one of the smallest countries in Europe. It is high up in the Pyrenees. If you look at the map of Europe, you can see that it lies exactly between France and Spain. It is a very mountainous area that has spectacular view

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

A strange type of creature has been appearing in Wenatchee recently. Apparently, it comes out when the weather gets nice. It is very tall, furry, and generally has a smile on its face. Unlike most other animals, it likes to be close to people and tra

发表于:2019-02-07 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

In the kitchen yesterday, I was considering all of the language that we are exposed to around the house. Containers of food and cleaning fluids can all teach us a lot of a new language. Even some small appliances often have instructions of some kind

发表于:2019-02-07 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

I heard today that eating nuts helps to lower bad cholesterol. That's good news because I love nuts of all kinds. I always have a stash of almonds and walnuts in the fridge. Apparently, in order to have the full benefits of these nuts, they should be

发表于:2019-02-07 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

Do you ever have aches and pains? Do your muscles ever get sore? Do you get headaches? My husband used to until a couple of years ago. He would come home from work with tight shoulders, or a headache, or a knot in his back, near his shoulder blades.

发表于:2019-02-07 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

What do you do at the weekends? Do you do anything special to let off steam or to get inspired? I suppose it depends where you live and what is available. After a hard week's work, it is nice sometimes to not do anything. If you look around, though,

发表于:2019-02-08 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

I got a phone call from my husband the other day, Hey babe, can you take the car to get the oil changed please? It's overdue. As he works forty-five minutes from town, he rarely has time to run those errands back in Wenatchee, so he gets his secretar

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(60) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

The Wenatchee golf club is a place that was introduced to me by my in-laws. For quite a few years now, they have played golf several times a week, and also enjoyed the club's other facilities. I don't golf, or at least not yet, but I have become fami

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(122) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

图片1 Today, I'm going to continue with my series of 'Getting to know our planet' with the country of Rwanda. What do you know about this central african nation? What springs to mind when you hear the name Rwanda? Before I began this study, I didn'

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(116) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

图片1 'Prevention is better than cure' is a saying that I fully believe in. Similarly, using the correct tools for a job, or wearing the correct protection, is just as smart. I've been thinking about this recently because my little girl has been le

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(104) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

A month before we fly. Today, I went to the awards ceremony at my children's school. It was for the fourth and fifth graders who have made great improvements during the year. It was also to give the fifth graders a good send-off, because they will be

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(113) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English

I was on Facebook today, updating comments to friends and family, when I came across a health test that I chose to take. It is called the 'Real age' test that many people have seen on Oprah. Well, I haven't seen Oprah in years, but I did want to find

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(102) / 评论(0) 分类 英语博客 A cup of English