Chapter 2 第二章 Our earliest ancestors 我们最早的祖先 We know very little about the first true men. We have never seen their pictures. In the deepest layer of clay of an ancient soil we have sometimes found pieces of their bones. These lay

发表于:2019-01-21 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

When I was twelve or thirteen years old, an uncle of mine who gave me my love for books and pictures promised to take me upon a memorable expedition. 当我十二三岁的时候,我的那位引导我爱上书籍和图画的舅舅,答应带我做一

发表于:2019-01-21 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

Soon certain energetic merchants discovered that the goods which they had always imported from afar could be made at home. 不久,某些精明能干的商人开始意识到,那些一直从远方采购来的商品其实也可以就近生产的。

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(29) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

Chapter 5 第五章 The Nile Valley 尼罗河河谷 The beginning of civilization in the valley of the Nile 人类文明发源于尼罗河河谷 The history of man is the record of a hungry creature in search of food. 人类的历史也是一部人们四

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(22) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

During the next two centuries, seven other crusades took place. 在接下来的两个世纪里,欧洲人又发动了另外七次东征。 Gradually the Crusaders learned the technique of the trip. 十字军战士们逐渐学会了前往亚洲的旅行

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

Of course, it would never do to say this openly. 当然,谁也不会把这些情绪公开流露出来。 But when the Crusader returned home, he was likely to imitate the manners which he had learned from his heathenish foe, compared to whom the av

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(22) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

But if the progress of the world had been left to the serf and his feudal master, 如果这个世界的进步责任是肩负在农奴和他们的封建领主肩上, we would still be living after the fashion of the twelfth century, saying abracadab

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

Next came the housing problem. 接下来是解决住房的问题。 This was simple. Many animals were in the habit of sleeping in dark caves. 这很简单。许多动物都有睡黑乎乎的山洞的习性。 Man now followed their example, drove th

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

When they tried to stay more than a few days there was a terrible battle with claw-like hands and feet and whole families were killed. 当过了几天他们还赖着不走,于是一场可怕的战斗发生了。人们相互撕咬,发疯般地肉搏

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

But this particular slab of black basalt was different from anything that had ever been discovered. 与此前发现的别的物件不同的是,这块特别的黑玄武岩石板 It carried three inscriptions. One of these was in Greek. The Greek lan

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(51) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

His personality made a great impression upon me and I was sorry to hear that he was killed on the Ostian Road a few days ago. 可无论如何,他的高尚为人与优雅个性给我留下了极深的印象。听到几天前他在奥斯提亚大道上

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

In Medina, Mohammed, who was a stranger, found it easier to proclaim himself a prophet than in his home city, where every one had known him as a simple camel-driver. 在故乡麦加城,人人都知道穆罕默德是一个赶骆驼者。而在麦地那

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

Chapter 31 Feudalism 第三十一章 封建制度 How central Europe, attacked from sides, become an armed camp 欧洲中部受到来自三个方向的敌人威胁,变成了地道的大兵营。 and why Europe would have perished without those prof

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

Unfortunately the power of the kings of France did not stretch beyond the moat of their royal residence, 不过很不幸的是,法兰西国王的权力从没能越出他们皇家居住地的城堡之外, while the Holy Roman Emperor was openly de

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

A young knight therefore was asked to swear that he would be faithful as a servant to God and as a servant to his King. 因此,一个年轻骑士起誓,他将永远做上帝忠实的仆人,同时也将终其一生忠心耿耿侍奉他的国王。

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

This made Rome very uncomfortable as an Imperial residence. 这样的事情常常发生,使得作为帝国首都的罗马变成了一个令人不快的居所。 Constantine(who ruled from 323 to 337) looked for a new capital. 康士坦丁皇帝(公

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(87) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

The old bridges were gone and commerce had come to a standstill. 帝国的大道因年旧失修而塌陷,桥梁断绝,早已不堪使用。 Civilisation-the product of thousands of years of patient labor on the part of Egyptians and Babylonians a

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(86) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

The old gods must be destroyed. 形形色色的旧神抵必须被摧毁, For a short spell the emperor Julian, a lover of Greek wisdom, managed to save the pagan Gods from further destruction. 主宰世界的只能是基督教唯一的上帝。有一

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(94) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

Chapter 28 Mohammed 第二十八章 穆罕默德 Ahmed, the camel-driver, who became the prophet of the arabian desert and whose followers almost conquered the entire known world for the greater glory of allah,the only true god 赶骆驼者阿哈默德

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(91) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史

After a while they began to meet the men and women who preached the words of Jesus. 又过了不久,他们开始与宣传基督福音的男男女女们有了私下的接触, They found them very different from the average Roman priests. 发现他们

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(79) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生人类历史