16 Being Spontaneous or Well-Planned GLOSSARY notes information that is written down informally to help one develop an idea orremember something in the future, usually intended only for oneself * Jackie always takes notes when she speaks with clients

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(76) / 评论(0) 分类 2010年ESL之就医和人际交往

14 Being a First-Time Parent GLOSSARY birth when a new child is brought into the world; when a baby comes out of hisor her mothers womb and begins breathing on its own * How many births happen in this hospital each year? first-time parent a person wh

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 2010年ESL之就医和人际交往

21 Describing Mens Bodies GLOSSARY to ogle (someone) to look at someone in an unwanted way that shows one is sexually interested in that person * Have you ever noticed how Professor DuPuois always ogles his female students? construction worker a pers

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 2009年ESL之就医和人际交往

13 Riding in a Carpool GLOSSARY off-site at a different location; not at the office * The companys old files are off-site, in a storage facility about a mile from the main office building. to walk (someone) to (somewhere) to accompany someone while w

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(60) / 评论(0) 分类 2009年ESL之商务英语

11 Getting Around Regulations GLOSSARY qualm a feeling of uneasiness and a little bit of fear; an uncomfortable feeling that one gets because one thinks that something is wrong or dangerous * Shes having a lot of qualms about leaving her job and look

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(85) / 评论(0) 分类 2009年ESL之商务英语

10Riding in a Carpool GLOSSARY off-site at a different location; not at the office * The companys old files are off-site, in a storage facility about a mile from the main office building. to walk (someone) to (somewhere) to accompany someone while wa

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(73) / 评论(0) 分类 2009年ESL之商务英语

16 Regretting Past Actions GLOSSARY to let (ones) temper get the best of (one) to lose control of ones words and actions because one is very angry, saying and doing things that one normally wouldnt say or do * After sitting in heavy traffic for hours

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(76) / 评论(0) 分类 2009年ESL之商务英语

15An Old Love GLOSSARY an item a romantic couple; a romantic pair* When Paul and Emily became an item, all of the other high school students knew about it immediately. old flame someone with whom one used to have a romantic relationship; anex-boyfrie

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(60) / 评论(0) 分类 2007年ESL之就医和人际交往

22Quitting Smoking GLOSSARY smoke break a short period of time during the workday when one stops working and goes outside to smoke a cigarette* My co-worker takes up to six smoke breaks a day! I dont know how she gets any work done. to bum (something

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(55) / 评论(0) 分类 2007年ESL之就医和人际交往

19Writing a Love Song GLOSSARY to keep it down - to be quiet; to not make very much noise* Please keep it down! Melinda is trying to study for tomorrows exam, but shecant concentrate with so much noise in here. none of (ones) business not something t

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 2007年ESL之就医和人际交往

24 Workplace Safety GLOSSARY memo memorandum; a short, one-page written document used in offices to inform someone about a situation or decision without providing very much detail * If you have a suggestion for how our company can sell more, please w

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 2008年ESL之商务英语

26 Renting an Apartment GLOSSARY apartment manager a person whose job is to take care of problems in an apartment building, collect the rent, and find peopleto live in the building * When our toilet stopped working, we called the apartment manager. v

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(67) / 评论(0) 分类 2008年ESL之就医和人际交往

26 Renting an Apartment GLOSSARY apartment manager a person whose job is to take care of problems in an apartment building, collect the rent, and find peopleto live in the building * When our toilet stopped working, we called the apartment manager. v

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 2008年ESL之就医和人际交往

08A Management Dispute GLOSSARY management dispute a disagreement among a companys leaders about howthe company should be run* The company is having a big management dispute over whether it should openoffices in other countries. subsidiary a company

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(77) / 评论(0) 分类 2008年ESL之商务英语

Collecting Debt Ken: Look at this list of customers who still owe us money. How is this business supposed to survive if we keep extending credit? Marjorie: We started doing it because some of our best customers didnt have ready cash. Theyre good for

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年ESL之商务英语

Being Assertive and Meek Victor: We need to take the bull by the horns. In the meeting today, were going to give it to them straight, no more hemming and hawing. Maura: Youre right. We need to tell them what we really think and be done with it. Victo

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(49) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年ESL之商务英语

Adopting a Pet Gabe: Why are we here? I thought we decided to put off getting a dog. Rene: I know thats what youd like to do, but I thought a trip to the pound might convince you that this is the right time to adopt a dog. Look at this cute little do

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(91) / 评论(0) 分类 2014年ESL之就医和人际交往

Giving Someone Your Recommendation Jimmy: My cousin Sal said that he put in an application for a job here. Suzanne: Yeah, thats right. Jimmy: Well? Suzanne: Well, what? Jimmy: Are you going to hire him? Suzanne: Im not sure. He doesnt have any experi

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(90) / 评论(0) 分类 2014年ESL之商务英语

Giving Someone Your Recommendation Jimmy: My cousin Sal said that he put in an application for a job here. Suzanne: Yeah, thats right. Jimmy: Well? Suzanne: Well, what? Jimmy: Are you going to hire him? Suzanne: Im not sure. He doesnt have any experi

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(65) / 评论(0) 分类 2013年ESL之商务英语

Going to Business School Karla: I just heard that youre taking a leave of absence to go to business school. Is that right? Joaquin: Yeah, Ive been thinking about it for a long time, and have finally taken the plunge. I need an MBA to get ahead in my

发表于:2018-12-03 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 2013年ESL之商务英语