There are some 30,000 immigrants serving in the US military who are not US citizens. Even as overall recruiting numbers slip , non-citizen recruits have remained a steady source of new enlistees. From member station KQED, Sasha Khokha spoke with immi

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(138) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

Wal-Mart is asking a federal appeals court in San Francisco to dismiss a sex discrimination lawsuit. A lower court ruling allowed a class-action case to move forward. It involves more than 1 million current and former female employees of the world's

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(123) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

Knight Ridder, the second largest newspaper chain in the country may very well be sold in the coming weeks. Its largest shareholder has demanded that the company be put up for sale even though its newspapers are all turning a profit. To commentator S

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(93) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

Great White sharks get around,a lot more than scientists thought. A new study in the journal Science shows that the great whites move farther and faster than anyone believed.That is important because it could be influenced the way humans try to prote

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(104) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

Indian neighbors seemed to her to be a happily married couple until recently. When I first heard the noise, I almost called 911. It sounded like my downstairs neighbor was bashing his wife against the wall. But I couldn't imagine Gion, a gentle pacif

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(116) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

This is Day to Day from NPR news, I am Medlin Bran. Have you ever wondered just who runs the Internet? Well a non-profit organization here in the US is responsible for technical oversight, but lately there's been some loud protests from other countri

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(117) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

This is Morning Edition from NPR news. Im Steven Inskeep, as we reported on this program medicaid has become the single biggest budget item for most states. Nearly all of them are trying to limit the growth of the health program for the poor and no

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(100) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

For NPR News, this is All Things Considered. I'm Michele Norris, and I'm Robert Siegel. If you think the real estate market in this country is out of control. Here's some advice: Don't move to China. Prices there are rising so fast, the government i

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(116) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

Today we are gonna wrap up our series on the falling US dollar. It has lost about thirty percent of its value over the last few years, and that has many economists and politicians worried as we've heard over the last couple of days. The dollar's fall

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(105) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

Commentator and personal finance advisor Liz Pullian Weston says Congress could pass other laws that would mean fewer people would need to file for bankruptcy. First, we need to reinstate usury laws. It seems almost quaint now. But thirty years ago

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(122) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

These are turbulent times for one of the world's largest and most powerful insurance companies. American International Group is under investigation over a questionable transaction that involves a company owned by Warren Buffet. And last week, the com

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(123) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

This is Day to Day, Im Milany Braney, in a few minutes well hear what critics are saying about this weeks movie releases, but first in the future our coat buttons will take pictures and our underwear will telephone home when we are in trouble. Thats

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(110) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

The Chinese offshore oil corporation known as CNOOC has abandoned its bid for UNOCAL. This would have been the largest-ever purchase of an American company by a Chinese firm. CNOOC had put forth a bid that was higher than the competing bid from US o

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(151) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

At a brief joint news conference with the Prime Minister of Australia,President Bush was asked today about China.The president noted that there are many dimensions to US-China relations including economic relations.This is part of what he said: I th

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(122) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

While one of the most pressing political and social issues facing the Arab world rarely makes headlines, it is an issue that some political analysts believe could lead to the next great confrontation in the region. Rapidly expanding Arab populations

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(135) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

In 1855, a book of poetry appeared that captured the soul of America, and expanded the possibilities for all poetry. I celebrate myself, and what I assume, you shall assume. For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you. Walt Whitman's LEAVES

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(220) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

This is Morning Edition from NPR news, I am Rene Montagne with Steve Inskeep. 229 years ago, independence for America was not certain; a new book explains how the young Revolutionary campaign took hold, Steve Inskeep talks to the author of 1776. Davi

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(222) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

Australian pop singer Ben Lee is a true prodigy. When the rap group The Beastie Boys discovered him a decade ago, he was 14 years old. So now he is all of 24 and he has just released his fifth solo album. Critic Sarah Bardeen says this singer is grow

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(209) / 评论(0) 分类 2005年NPR美国国家公共电台

2005年全国硕士研究生入学考试英语试题及答案 Section I Use of English Directions: Read the following text. Choose the best word(s) for each numbered blank and mark A, B, C or D on ANS

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 考研英语

tangle 缠结 ;混乱状态;处于混乱状态 temperament 气质 ;急躁 texture (织品的)质地;(木材、岩石的)纹理;(皮肤)肌里;(文艺作品)结构 thigh 大腿

发表于:2019-02-07 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 考研英语