Luis Prado has created what he hopes will become the international symbol for global warming. He's one of many designers contributing icons to an online bank of icons called the Noun Project.The creators of the Noun Project think it could one day con

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(30) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

Did you have a very strict teacher at school? I did. I'll never forget 'Mr Grumpy'. If you didn't get your geography right, you would wish to run to the end of the earth to be far away from him. That tall man with a very loud voice knew how frighten

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

A new survey has confirmed that the number of regular drinkers of wine in France is in decline, and some traditionalists fear that the beverage seems to be losing its iconic role in France's cultural heritage. In 1980, more than half of adults were c

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

I couldn't sell a stove to an Innuit. I work hard but I am not very entrepreneurial. I admire people like Richard Branson, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg. They set up and grew their own profitable companies when they were very young. It got me wonder

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

Sometimes I can't sleep because a problem plays over and over in my mind. Does this happen to you? Psychologists who used the results of an online test conducted by the BBC and the University of Liverpool say that some self-reflection can be good. Bu

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(83) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

For me, one of the greatest pleasures in life is going to watch a great film - or movie - at the cinema. It's a chance for escapism - getting away from real life. There's nothing better than being engrossed in a story unless, of course, someone decid

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

Can you be brainy and brawny at the same time? The sport of chess boxing suggests you can. The former boxing world heavyweight champion, Lennox Lewis, is keen to dismiss the idea that if you're muscular you can't be smart enough to succeed in a cereb

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

Recently a man proposed in front of 20,000 people at London's Olympic Stadium. Charity mascot Wendell Raphael, 40, was shown on the big screen at a test event saying: Bindi Bhambra, will you marry me? She was shown in tears nodding her head to say ye

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(22) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

The game manufacturer Bioware has announced that it will release further content for Mass Effect 3, following complaints from disgruntled users. The final part of the Mass Effect trilogy was released at the start of this month to great critical accla

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

If you used your imagination to create a fantasy world, what accent would the characters speak in? This month sees the return of the successful American television series, Game of Thrones. Set in a fantasy world of mythical castles and charming princ

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

When was the last time you went to the cinema? Were you interrupted by someone munching loudly on their popcorn, or rudely texting on their mobile phone? These distractions may be common for many, but one cinema is now fighting back. It is attempting

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

If you're studying a foreign language, you'll know that learning vocabulary can often be a painstaking process. After all, there are thousands upon thousands of words, expressions and idioms to learn. But sometimes, new words appear that can confound

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

For many, knitting evokes images of elderly women weaving woolly jumpers for their grandchildren. But the craft is undergoing a revival as knitters of all ages are picking up needles and yarns again. For Dr Sarah-Marie Belcastro, knitting is a mathem

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

What have former French President Nicholas Sarkozy, ex-Beatles singer John Lennon and female tennis champion Maria Sharapova got in common? They all share a passion for philately, or stamp collecting. As fewer people send letters to one another, the

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

You really should finish compiling that boring spreadsheet, but you just can't bring yourself to do it. Maybe it can wait a little longer? Or it might just disappear if you ignore it long enough? You know the feeling. According to Professor Piers Ste

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

Confectionery manufacturers must be marvelling at their chocolate box balance sheets in the middle of the economic downturn. That's because sales of chocolate products are up. Chocoholics have pushed one UK company's profits up 25%. In Syria, one of

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

Europe has been in the grip of an outbreak of E.coli, which has so far infected 2,400 people and killed 24. Most cases have been caused by contaminated food produce, although E.coli can spread from person to person. Daniel Bahr, the German health min

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

Starting with the lines General weather probable in the next two days, a short piece in The Times newspaper of London in 1861 started forecasting as we know it today. It was put together by Robert FitzRoy, a captain in the Royal Navy and a pioneer in

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(29) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

A Boost for the Scotch Whisky Industry 苏格兰威士忌将在中国受品牌保护 For many people around the world a glass of Scotch is their favourite tipple. Scotch whisky can come in blended or single malt varieties. Connoisseurs of the drink d

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(22) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版

Charity Catalogues British Place Nicknames 英慈善机构着手编纂地名绰号 Does your local town have a nickname? If so, what does it say about the area and the people who live there? Many cities are recognised across the world by their unoffi

发表于:2019-02-21 / 阅读(24) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力精选进阶版