Unit 2 Mirror Miracle We are all more obsessed with our appearance than we like to admit. Concern about appearance is quite normal and understandable. Attractive people have distinct advantages in our society. Studies show: * Attractive children are

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 12 Education in the US and Britain The formal education in the United States differed from education systems of other Western societies in three fundamental respects. First, Americans were more inclined to regard education as a solution to vario

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit11 Tips for English Learning Q: I have been learning English for six years, but I still can't understand a film in English. What's the wrong with my learning process? A: The secret of learning anything, whether it be maths or engineering or Engli

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 9 Why French Live Longer In 1965, a French lawyer, Andre Raffray, gambled on statistics and lost. He acquired the flat of a 90-year-old woman, Jeanne Calment, agreeing to pay her a lifetime pension of 2,500 francs a month in exchange. It seemed

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(24) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 8 The Theory of Cosmetic Relativity I am the kind of person who likes to be on time for things. I like to be early. Let's say I need to catch a flight leaving at 4 pm. In planning my drive to the airport, I will factor in a cushion: to allow for

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 14 Growing Pains Your 8-year-old son wakes up crying in the night complaining that his legs are throbbing. You rub them, and soothe him as much as you can, but are uncertain about whether to give him any medication or take him to the doctor. Sou

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 28 Why You Need a Personal Budget Credit can be a friend or a foe. It can be an asset or a liability. If you abuse the privilege, it can ruin future plans. If you find your debts have piled up and you feel out of control, develop a plan to help

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 25 The Art of Smart Guessing Several days ago, interviewing job candidates, I grew tired of asking What experience do you have? I decided on a quiz to find out how resourceful a thinker the new hire might be. Here it is: You are on a yacht saili

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 18 Accident Reports A pedestrian hit me and went under my car. I turned the wheel to what I thought was enough and found myself in a different direction going the opposite way. No one was to blame for the accident, but it never would have happen

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 40 Customs of Halloween Halloween is an annual celebration. How did this peculiar custom originate? The word Halloween comes from All Hallows Eve. November 1, All Hallows Day (or All Saints Day), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saint

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 52 Dietary Changes That Will Lower Your Cancer Risk Some foods actually contribute to the development of cancer; other foods lessen the risk. The following anti-cancer diet greatly lowers your risk of colorectal cancer and nearly all other types

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(26) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 46 What Changes Has Feminism Brought to Girls and Boys? A revolution in the way American society regards and treats the two sexes has been accomplished in remarkably short period of time. Very often, this is viewed as victory for feminism, in th

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 48 Chinese Immigrants in the USA Chinese Americans make up a tiny fraction of US population, and their numerous contributions to their adopted land are much appreciated. However, it was once common in America to associate Chinese Americans with

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(23) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 47 Texas Cowboy Culture The culture of the western United States, which many consider the epitome of American-ness, is in origin a synthesis of Anglo and Hispanic cultures which was created in Texas the days of the Texas Republic and spread with

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 74 Will We Follow Dolly, the Sheep? Hearing Scottish scientists' success in cloning a sheep from a single adult cell, the world cones to an unsettling realization: the science is the easy part. it's not that the breakthrough was not decades in t

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 72 E-mail Is Here to Stay Is e-mail a blessing or a curse? Last month, after a week's vacation, I discovered 1,218 unread e-mail messages waiting in my inbox. I pretended to be dismayed, but secretly I was pleased. This is how we measure our wir

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 62 World Bank The World Bank is one of the major channels through which development aid is passed from the Industrial West to the poor and developing nations. In the last decade, important changes have taken place in the size of the Bank's opera

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 61 Web Feats Here is a look at six ways the internet has made an impact on us in the past decade. There's no going back! Everybody can get information if they learn how to look for it. Irritated at the half-remembered lyrics of a song? Need a re

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(73) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 89 Seven Myths of Single Womanhood There is much confusion and concern over what it means to be a single lady. This is because most young women swallow enough of the singlehood lies to permeate themselves with single sickness. It is hard not to

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(60) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500

Unit 90 Virtual Grave People are mortal. The bodies in which we live our real existence simply have a restricted life span. Ultimately we all die of old age, or sooner of an illness or accident. When one person's life ends irreversibly, it is the beg

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 英语流行话题阅读:语境识词4500