This the VOA Special English Agriculture Report. Norman Borlaug led what was known as the Green Revolution. As a plant scientist, he may have saved more lives than anyone else in history -- as many as a billion, by some estimates. He traveled the wo

发表于:2018-12-15 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA慢速英语2009年(九)月

This is the VOA Special English Economics Report. Many people think the search for cleaner energy leads only to renewable resources like sun, wind and water. But it also leads to a fossil fuel. Natural gas is considered the cleanest of the fossil fu

发表于:2018-12-15 / 阅读(25) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA慢速英语2009年(十)月

VOICE ONE: This is SCIENCE IN THE NEWS in VOA Special English. I'm Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And I'm Shirley Griffith. This week, we will tell about evidence that something big struck the planet Jupiter. We will also tell about a long ignored organ in

发表于:2018-12-15 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA慢速英语2009年(八)月

VOICE ONE: This is SCIENCE IN THE NEWS in VOA Special English. I'm Bob Doughty. VOICE TWO: And, I'm Barbara Klein. This week, we will tell about efforts against the H1N1 virus, often called swine flu. We will give a possible explanation for why some

发表于:2018-12-15 / 阅读(26) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA慢速英语2009年(十一)月

President Obama is set to visit Saudi Arabia on June 3 to meet with King Abdullah, just a day before visiting Cairo, and many Saudis are speculating about what the two men will discuss. As the guardian of Islam's holy sites and the author of a 2002

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(五月)

By Jim Teeple Jerusalem 17 December 2007 After seven years, Israeli and Palestinian negotiators are talking once again. That development came at the end of 2007, a year of turmoil and transition which saw the Palestinian territories split, politicall

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(103) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA常速英语2007年(十二月)

VOICE ONE: Welcome to THIS IS AMERICA in VOA Special English. I'm Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: Union members and their supporters march during a Labor Day parade in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 2007 And I'm Barbara Klein. Most of the world observes Labo

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA慢速英语2009年(九)月

VOICE ONE: I'm Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And I'm Barbara Klein with EXPLORATIONS in VOA Special English. At the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C. you might see two cowboy boots. They are painted with a design of clouds and stars. Two

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA慢速英语2009年(九)月

By Katherine Cole Washington 20 December 2007 Although the final numbers won't be in for several weeks, the retail music industry is bracing for bad news. Even though 14 million albums were sold during the week after the Thanksgiving holiday, traditi

发表于:2019-01-31 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA常速英语2007年(十二月)

Tuesday is the first anniversary of the deal that brought about Zimbabwe's national unity government, known as the Global Political Agreement. Most Zimbabweans, who believed it would end years of political strife and suffering caused by a collapsing

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(24) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(九月)

Members of the Pan-African Parliament are in Niger for separate talks with President Mamdou Tandja and his political opponents concerning the referendum that has extended the president's time in office. African parliamentarians are in Niger to asses

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(九月)

Nearly 600,000 West Africans are affected by floods, following three months of rain. The unusually heavy rainy season is expected to continue through the end of September. The latest United Nations assessment of West African flooding says more than

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(九月)

Southern Senegal is experiencing some of the worst fighting in years, as violence between separatist rebels and army loyalists flares. The fighting has left one small town in rural Senegal deserted, as farmers are forced to leave their crops to lang

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(九月)

The European Union says it is emerging from a recession driven by the global economic downturn, but the recovery will be shaky and slow. The EU economic outlook for 2009 is far from upbeat. Overall, the bloc's economy will shrink by four percent in

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(九月)

A new report finds survivors of landmines and other explosive remnants of war continue to suffer discrimination and general neglect from the governments that promised to assist them. The so-called Voices from the Ground report is issued by Handicap

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(九月)

By Lisa Schlein Geneva 14 October 2009 United Nations food agencies report more than one billion people, or one sixth of the world's population, are going hungry. This report by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Food Program is

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(十月)

Thousands of supporters of ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya marched through the streets of the nation's capital, Tegucigalpa, Sunday and jammed the roads around the international airport awaiting his return. Supporters of ousted Honduran Pres

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(七月)

Political opponents of Niger's President Mamadou Tandja say they are determined to block a referendum to extend his rule. The White House says it is concerned about President Tandja ruling by decree after dissolving a constitutional court that said

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(七月)

By Al Pessin Washington 09 October 2009 President Obama (file photo) President Barack Obama is grappling with the difficult decision of whether to send even more U.S. troops to Afghanistan to reverse recent gains by the Taliban and help establish a

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(十月)

By Selah Hennessy London 08 October 2009 The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization says major investment needs to be made in developing world agriculture. The FAO says that with rapid population growth and changing diets, agricultural pro

发表于:2019-02-20 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(十月)