时间:2019-01-20 作者:英语课 分类:礼节美语


英语课

陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。同事Amy在复印间里找到他。


(Office ambience)


A:Hi Chen Hao. May I talk to you for a minute after you finish copying those documents?


C:我马上就印完了。什么事?


A:It seems that you sent an e-mail to one of your colleagues last week. You said some uncomplimentary things about a co-worker.


C:什么电子邮件?我怎么不记得。


A:The one you sent to Bill complaining about Sue 1's work on your current project.


C:哦,我想起来了,上星期我确实给Bill发过一个电子邮件,因为Sue太气人了。


A:It seems that you criticized 2 her failure to meet deadlines, her inattention to detail and her inability to work with others.


C:是啊,当时我们刚开了一次特别重要的小组会议,确定项目提案的终稿。


A:I imagine there was a lot of pressure.


C:对啊,我是组长,所以压力特别大。Sue不仅没有按时完成工作,而且粗枝大叶,又不合作,所以我才发电子邮件给Bill抱怨。


A:Why Bill?


C:Bill做过这类项目,又跟组里很多人共过事。其实啊,我就是想找个人,发泄一下。


A:It is understandable that you needed to vent 3 to someone and get advice on how to handle the situation, but e-mail was the wrong way to do it.


C:不应该发电子邮件?可是当时你出差,Bill在开会,我没有别的办法。


A:Let's talk more about this later on. I have a meeting in five minutes.


C:好,一会儿见。


******


几小时后,在陈豪办公室里。


C:Amy, 你刚才说我不应该发电子邮件给Bill, 为什么?


A:After Bill read your e-mail, he forwarded it to Lee who has also worked with Sue. I don' think Bill meant any harm. He wanted to know if Lee had had any of the same issues.


C:Bill 看完电子邮件后,转寄给Lee, 那也没什么啊。


A:Wait. There' more. Lee and Sue are friends so Lee sent a copy of your message to her.


C:什么?Lee和Sue是好朋友?这下可糟了。


A:You don't know how bad it is. Sue was upset and passed your e-mail on to several friends in her department. In short you email has created something of an office war. People are taking sides.


C:什么?不过这可不是我的本意。你说我现在该怎么办呢?


A:You need to go directly to Sue and talk to her.


C:去找Sue当面说清楚?


A:That's right. You owe her an apology for your bad judgment 4 in involving Bill and not discussing your issues with her first.


C:一封短短的电子邮件,会把事情搞到这种田地。


A:The point is that e-mail should not be used to send messages that are sensitive or confidential 5.




 



vt.控告,起诉;vi.请求,追求,起诉
  • If you don't pay me the money,I'll sue you.如果你不付给我钱,我就告你。
  • The war criminals sue for peace.战犯求和。
vt.批评(criticize的过去式)v.评论,批评( criticize的过去式和过去分词 )
  • The decision was criticized by environmental groups. 这个决定受到了环保团体的批评。
  • The movie has been criticized for apparently legitimizing violence. 这部电影因明显地美化暴力而受到了指责。
n.通风口,排放口;开衩;vt.表达,发泄
  • He gave vent to his anger by swearing loudly.他高声咒骂以发泄他的愤怒。
  • When the vent became plugged,the engine would stop.当通风口被堵塞时,发动机就会停转。
n.审判;判断力,识别力,看法,意见
  • The chairman flatters himself on his judgment of people.主席自认为他审视人比别人高明。
  • He's a man of excellent judgment.他眼力过人。
adj.秘(机)密的,表示信任的,担任机密工作的
  • He refused to allow his secretary to handle confidential letters.他不让秘书处理机密文件。
  • We have a confidential exchange of views.我们推心置腹地交换意见。