时间:2018-12-30 作者:英语课 分类:公众人物毕业演讲


英语课

   That ran counter to our core 1 belief.


  这将同我们的核心信念背道而驰
  Technology should benefit everyone.
  技术应当让每个人受益
  So we worked to close the digital divide.
  于是我们开始行动 试图缩小这一数字鸿沟
  I made a priority 2 at Microsoft,
  我原来在微软
  and Melinda and I made it an early priority at our Foundation 3.
  以及我和梅琳达在盖茨基金会早期都确立了
  Donating personal computers to public libraries
  向公共图书馆捐赠个人计算机这一优先事务
  to make sure that everyone had access.
  以帮助每个人获得计算机使用权
  The digital divide was a focus of mine in 1997,
  1997年 这一数字鸿沟是我的主要关注焦点
  when I took my first trip to South Africa.
  当时我是第一次去南非
  I went there on business.
  我是出公差
  So I spent most of my time in meetings in downtown Johannesburg.
  大多数时间都在约翰内斯堡中心城区开会
  I stayed in the home of one of the richest families of South Africa.
  住在南非国内非常有钱的一位富豪家里
  It had only been three years since the election 4 of Nelson Mandela
  当时离纳尔逊?曼德拉当选只有三年时间
  marked the end of apartheid.
  种族隔离刚刚终结
  When I sat down for dinner with my hosts,
  我同屋子的主人坐在一起用餐
  they used a bell to call the butler.
  主人用铃来呼唤仆人
  After dinner, the women and men separated and the men smoked cigars.
  餐后 女人们会和男人们分开 男人们会去抽雪茄
  I thought, good thing I read Jane Austen,
  我心想 幸好我读过简·奥斯汀的作品
  or I wouldn't have known what was going on.
  否则我估计根本无法理解这里发生了什么

n.中心;核心;(苹果、梨等果实的)果心
  • We didn't get to the core of the subject.我们没触及问题的核心。
  • The pear is rotten to the core.这梨全烂了。
n.优先处理的事,居先,优先(权)
  • The development of the national economy is a top priority.发展国民经济是应予以最优先考虑的事。
  • Things should be taken up in order of priority.办事应有个先后次序。
n.[pl.]地基;基础;基金会;建立,创办
  • The foundation of the university took place 600 years ago.这所大学是600年前创办的。
  • The Foundation gives money to help artists.那家基金会捐款帮助艺术家。
n.选举,选择权;当选
  • There is no doubt but that he will win the election.毫无疑问,他将在竞选中获胜。
  • The government will probably fall at the coming election.在即将到来的大选中,该政府很可能要垮台。
标签: 演讲