时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册


英语课

   So unobtrusively that I scarce noticed the movement, the girl had drawn 1 to her mother's side. 起初,我还真没注意到,悄无声息地,那姑娘仄到她妈妈身边,


  What she said to her I did not hear, for the brief words were uttered in a low voice; 那些话语很轻,我听不见她对母亲说了什么,
  but I noticed, as she spoke 2, one small, fair hand rested on the woman's hand. 不过,我留意到,那姑娘说话的当口,她那小巧美丽的手已搭在那妇人的手上。
  Was there magic in that touch? 这就是触摸的神奇?
  The woman's repulsive 3 aspect changed into one of kindly 4 welcome, 那妇人反感冷淡的口吻转瞬变得柔和亲近,
  and she said, "Yes, it's a long way to G—. I guess we can find a place for him." “是的,去G地的路还远着呢,我想,我们是得给他安排住下。”
  Many times more during that evening, did I observe the magic power of that hand and voice—the one gentle yet potent 5 as the other. 就在那个晚上,我确实留心到那双手、那个声音的神奇——温柔中透出强势力量。
  On the next morning, breakfast being over, 次日清早,早饭后,
  I was preparing to take my departure when my host informed me that if I would wait for half an hour  我打算告辞,男主人突然告诉我,如果我可以等半个小时的话,
  he would give me a ride in his wagon 6 to G—, as business required him to go there. 他可以捎带我去G地,他要赶着马车去G地办事。
  I was very well pleased to accept of the invitation. 我自然非常高兴地接受了他的好意。
  In due time, the farmer's wagon was driven into the road before the house, and I was invited to get in. 约定的时间到了,那农夫的马车来到屋前路上,我受邀上车后,
  I noticed the horse as a rough-looking Canadian pony 7, with a certain air of stubborn endurance. 这才看见那匹驾辕的马驹,那马驹面部粗糙,属于加拿大品种,具有顽强忍耐的优良品性。
  As the farmer took his seat by my side, the family came to the door to see us off. 农夫上了车,坐在我身边,全家人走出门来给我们送行。

1 drawn
v.拖,拉,拔出;adj.憔悴的,紧张的
  • All the characters in the story are drawn from life.故事中的所有人物都取材于生活。
  • Her gaze was drawn irresistibly to the scene outside.她的目光禁不住被外面的风景所吸引。
2 spoke
n.(车轮的)辐条;轮辐;破坏某人的计划;阻挠某人的行动 v.讲,谈(speak的过去式);说;演说;从某种观点来说
  • They sourced the spoke nuts from our company.他们的轮辐螺帽是从我们公司获得的。
  • The spokes of a wheel are the bars that connect the outer ring to the centre.辐条是轮子上连接外圈与中心的条棒。
3 repulsive
adj.排斥的,使人反感的
  • She found the idea deeply repulsive.她发现这个想法很恶心。
  • The repulsive force within the nucleus is enormous.核子内部的斥力是巨大的。
4 kindly
adj.和蔼的,温和的,爽快的;adv.温和地,亲切地
  • Her neighbours spoke of her as kindly and hospitable.她的邻居都说她和蔼可亲、热情好客。
  • A shadow passed over the kindly face of the old woman.一道阴影掠过老太太慈祥的面孔。
5 potent
adj.强有力的,有权势的;有效力的
  • The medicine had a potent effect on your disease.这药物对你的病疗效很大。
  • We must account of his potent influence.我们必须考虑他的强有力的影响。
6 wagon
n.四轮马车,手推车,面包车;无盖运货列车
  • We have to fork the hay into the wagon.我们得把干草用叉子挑进马车里去。
  • The muddy road bemired the wagon.马车陷入了泥泞的道路。
7 pony
adj.小型的;n.小马
  • His father gave him a pony as a Christmas present.他父亲给了他一匹小马驹作为圣诞礼物。
  • They made him pony up the money he owed.他们逼他还债。