时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇


英语课

   And it wasn't because of my attending; he was a doll.  而这也不是因为我的主治;他人非常好。


  He talked to the family, and I'm quite sure that he smoothed things over and made sure that I didn't get sued 1.  他和那家人好好的谈过。我确定他为了确保我没有被控告而替我打了圆场。
  And I kept asking myself these questions. Why didn't I ask my attending?  但我仍然不断问我自己这些问题:为什么当时我没有联系我的主治?
  Why did I send her home? And then at my worst moments: Why did I make such a stupid mistake?  为什么我当时会让她回家? 更加沮丧时,我会问: 我为什么会犯下如此愚蠢的错误?
  Why did I go into medicine? Slowly but surely 2, it lifted. 为什么我会选择进入医学界?慢慢的但稳定地,那糟糕的感觉开始淡化了。
  I began to feel a bit better.  我开始觉得缓和了些。
  And on a cloudy day, there was a crack 3 in the clouds and the sun started to come out and I wondered, maybe I could feel better again.  然后在一个阴云密布的日子里,当我看到一束阳光从云隙中探出,我觉得,或许我能再次感觉好起来。
  And I made myself a bargain that if only I redouble my efforts to be perfect and never make another mistake again, please make the voices stop.  然后我和自己做了一个约定:如果我加倍努力做到完美,不再犯错,请就此让那自责的声音消去。
  And they did. And I went back to work. And then it happened again.  那个声音的确停止了。我回到了工作岗位。但错误又发生了。
  Two years later I was an attending in the emergency department at a community hospital just north of Toronto,  两年后,当我在一家多伦多北部一间社区医院的急症室做主治医生时,
  and I saw a 25 year-old man with a sore throat.  我看了一位喉咙酸痛的25岁的男人。
  It was busy, I was in a bit of a hurry. He kept pointing here.  当时诊所很忙,所以我也有些急。他不停的指着这里。
  I looked at his throat, it was a little bit pink.  我看了看,他的喉咙有些红肿。
  And I gave him a prescription 4 for penicillin 5 and sent him on his way. 我给他开了盘尼西林的处方后 便让他离开了。
  And even as he was walking out the door, he was still sort of pointing to his throat.  即便当他走出诊所的大门的时候,他似乎还在指着他的喉咙。

v.(为要求赔偿损失而)起诉( sue的过去式和过去分词 );控告;请求;要求(尤用于法庭)
  • The company sued for defamation. 这个公司因受到诽谤而提起诉讼。
  • He sued the newspaper for libel. 他起诉那家报社犯有诽谤罪。
adv.确实地,无疑地;必定地,一定地
  • It'should surely be possible for them to reach an agreement.想必他们可以达成协议。
  • Surely we'll profit from your work.我们肯定会从你的工作中得到益处。
vi.发破裂声;噼啪地响;vt./vi.(使)开裂;破裂;n.裂缝,缝隙;爆裂声,破裂声,劈啪声
  • There's a crack in this cup.这个杯子上有个裂缝。
  • There's a crack on the underneath of the bowl.碗底有一道裂缝。
n.处方,开药;指示,规定
  • The physician made a prescription against sea- sickness for him.医生给他开了个治晕船的药方。
  • The drug is available on prescription only.这种药只能凭处方购买。
n.青霉素,盘尼西林
  • I should have asked him for a shot of penicillin.我应当让他给我打一针青霉素的。
  • Penicillin was an extremely significant medical discovery.青霉素是极其重要的医学发现。
标签: TED演讲