时间:2019-02-21 作者:英语课 分类:月亮和六便士


英语课

 "How strange that you should say that!" I answered. “真奇怪,你怎么会也这么说?”我回答道。


"For long ago I had the idea that he was possessed 1 of a devil." “很久以前,我正是也有这种想法。我觉得他这个人是被魔鬼抓住了。”
"And the passion that held Strickland was a passion to create beauty. “使思特里克兰德着了迷的是一种创作欲,他热切地想创造出美来。
It gave him no peace. It urged him hither and thither 2. 这种激情叫他一刻也不能宁静。逼着他东奔西走。
He was eternally a pilgrim, haunted by a divine nostalgia 3, and the demon 4 within him was ruthless. 他好像是一个终生跋涉的朝香者,永远思慕着一块圣地。盘踞在他心头的魔鬼对他毫无怜悯之情。
There are men whose desire for truth is so great that to attain 5 it they will shatter the very foundation of their world. 世上有些人渴望寻获真理,他们的要求非常强烈,为了达到这个目的,就是叫他们把生活的基础完全打翻,也在所不惜。
Of such was Strickland, only beauty with him took the place of truth. 思特里克兰德就是这样一个人;只不过他追求的是美,而不是真理。
I could only feel for him a profound compassion 6." 对于像他这样的人,我从心眼里感到怜悯。”
"That is strange also. 你说的这一点也很奇怪。
A man whom he had deeply wronged told me that he felt a great pity for him." “有一个他曾经伤害过的人也这样对我说,说他非常可怜思特里克兰德。”
I was silent for a moment. 我沉默了一会儿。
"I wonder if there you have found the explanation of a character which has always seemed to me inexplicable 7. “我很想知道,对于一种我一直感到迷惑不解的性格,你是不是已经找到了答案。
How did you hit on it?" 你怎么会想到这个道理的?”
He turned to me with a smile. 他对我笑了笑。
"Did I not tell you that I, too, in my way was an artist? “我不是告诉你了,从某一个角度讲,我也是个艺术家吗?
I realised in myself the same desire as animated 8 him. 我在自己身上也深深感到激励着他的那种热望。
But whereas his medium was paint, mine has been life." 但是他的手段是绘画,我的却是生活。”
Then Captain Brunot told me a story which I must repeat, since, if only by way of contrast, it adds something to my impression of Strickland. 布吕诺船长这时给我讲了一个故事,我想我应该在这里说一说。因为即使作为对比,这个故事对我记叙思特里克兰德的生平也能说明一些问题。
It has also to my mind a beauty of its own. 再说,我认为这个故事本身就是非常美的。

adj.疯狂的;拥有的,占有的
  • He flew out of the room like a man possessed.他像着了魔似地猛然冲出房门。
  • He behaved like someone possessed.他行为举止像是魔怔了。
adv.向那里;adj.在那边的,对岸的
  • He wandered hither and thither looking for a playmate.他逛来逛去找玩伴。
  • He tramped hither and thither.他到处流浪。
n.怀乡病,留恋过去,怀旧
  • He might be influenced by nostalgia for his happy youth.也许是对年轻时幸福时光的怀恋影响了他。
  • I was filled with nostalgia by hearing my favourite old song.我听到这首喜爱的旧歌,心中充满了怀旧之情。
n.魔鬼,恶魔
  • The demon of greed ruined the miser's happiness.贪得无厌的恶习毁掉了那个守财奴的幸福。
  • He has been possessed by the demon of disease for years.他多年来病魔缠身。
vt.达到,获得,完成
  • I used the scientific method to attain this end. 我用科学的方法来达到这一目的。
  • His painstaking to attain his goal in life is praiseworthy. 他为实现人生目标所下的苦功是值得称赞的。
n.同情,怜悯
  • He could not help having compassion for the poor creature.他情不自禁地怜悯起那个可怜的人来。
  • Her heart was filled with compassion for the motherless children.她对于没有母亲的孩子们充满了怜悯心。
adj.无法解释的,难理解的
  • It is now inexplicable how that development was misinterpreted.当时对这一事态发展的错误理解究竟是怎么产生的,现在已经无法说清楚了。
  • There are many things which are inexplicable by science.有很多事科学还无法解释。
adj.生气勃勃的,活跃的,愉快的
  • His observations gave rise to an animated and lively discussion.他的言论引起了一场气氛热烈而活跃的讨论。
  • We had an animated discussion over current events last evening.昨天晚上我们热烈地讨论时事。
标签: 月亮和六便士