时间:2019-01-29 作者:英语课 分类:白鲸记


英语课

 But I said nothing, only looking round me sharply.  我什么也没说,注意地观察着周围的情况。 


Peleg now threw open a chest, and drawing forth 1 the ship's articles, placed pen and ink before him, and seated himself at a little table.  法勒从一个箱子里拿出船上用的契约来,又找出墨水和笔,都摆在了一张小桌上。 
I began to think it was high time to settle with myself at what terms I would be willing to engage for the voyage.  我脑子里飞快地盘算着这契约的条款问题,当然关键是我有多少拆账。所谓拆账,就是红利。
I was already aware that in the whaling business they paid no wages;  因为浦鲸船上是不发工资的,
but all hands, including the captain, received certain shares of the profits called lays,  报酬是捕鲸回来以后的利润,
and that these lays were proportioned to the degree of importance pertaining 2 to the respective duties of the ship's company.  这利润是按百分比分到每个人身上的。 
I was also aware that being a green hand at whaling, my own lay would not be very large;  就我本身而言,是捕鲸业的新手,拆账不会多;
but considering that I was used to the sea, could steer 3 a ship, splice 4 a rope, and all that,  但我又有多次航海经验,我会掌舵、会搓绳子、适应航行生活,
I made no doubt that from all I had heard I should be offered at least the 275th lay, 我的拆账不能太低,应在二百七十五分之一左右。
that is, the 275th part of the clear net proceeds of the voyage, whatever that might eventually amount to. 尽管这显然是无所谓的大拆账,但对我来说已经可以接受了。 

adv.向前;向外,往外
  • The wind moved the trees gently back and forth.风吹得树轻轻地来回摇晃。
  • He gave forth a series of works in rapid succession.他很快连续发表了一系列的作品。
与…有关系的,附属…的,为…固有的(to)
  • Living conditions are vastly different from those pertaining in their country of origin. 生活条件与他们祖国大不相同。
  • The inspector was interested in everything pertaining to the school. 视察员对有关学校的一切都感兴趣。
vt.驾驶,为…操舵;引导;vi.驾驶
  • If you push the car, I'll steer it.如果你来推车,我就来驾车。
  • It's no use trying to steer the boy into a course of action that suits you.想说服这孩子按你的方式行事是徒劳的。
v.接合,衔接;n.胶接处,粘接处
  • He taught me to edit and splice film.他教我剪辑和粘接胶片。
  • The film will be spliced with footage of Cypress Hill to be filmed in America.这部电影要和将在美国拍摄的柏树山乐队的音乐片段粘接在一起。
标签: 白鲸记