Bug Antifreeze Ever seen a cricket wearing a parka? Probably not, but you might have wondered how insects make it through the winter! After all, theyre cold-blooded, so their body temperature is pretty close to the temperature around them! Why dont b

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Walking and Sloshing Youre at a party. Somebody hands you a glass. Hey, come on over here! Somebody else shouts. You take a step and the next thing you know you are wearing that tasty beverage. But why? When we walk, we keep our torsos straight, dont

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Fish ad 鱼的招亲广告 Today we're looking at fish single's ads, let's see--- single fish female seeks good father to help with eggs. Come on, don't be serious. Fish don't place ad in a paper, plus I thought a common assumption in biology is that

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Noise Pollution Is Affecting Whales If a noisy neighbor is blasting music at all hours of the day and night, drowning out your phone conversations and interrupting your sleep, you can call the police. But what is a whale to do? Natural noise from wav

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Lightning Helps Fertilize The Soil Our bodies need protein, and proteins contain nitrogen. The air we breathe has plenty of nitrogen to satisfy our needs. Butthat nitrogen is not available to us directly from the air. The only way we can get nitrogen

Is My Brain Static Or Constantly Changing? Scientists used to think that for all its complexity, the brain was pretty static. Once the brain matured, it essentially stopped growing and changing. And when neurons, or brain cells, were lost or damaged,

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Popcorn Makes A Perfect, Healthy Snack Dear A Moment of Science, I love to snack, but I also want to lose weight. The problem is, I really hate vegetables and fruit, at least as snack foods. I want something with a little salt, a little crunch. So ar

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Feeling down? Youre not alone. If depression seems pretty common, it is. One in every ten adults suffers from depression. And thats what has scientists puzzled. If depression is a detrimental condition, why is it so rampant in the population? Some sc

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Wouldnt it be great if we could trade genes with other species? For example, suppose you could trade the family cat your genes for intelligence for its genes for physical coordination! Well, okay, thats not likely to happen anytime soon. But DNA trad

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(49) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

The History Of Smallpox In Shakespeares day, wishing a pox on someone was a terrible curse. Ten percent of the population in 17th century London died gruesomely of smallpox, a virus spread easily by airborne particles or contaminated clothing. Infect

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(25) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

The Mysterious Liquid In Yogurt When you open a container of yogurt, youll often see liquid collected on top. Some people mix it back into the yogurt, and others drain it off. What is it, and where does it come from? To solve the mystery of the liqui

How People In Greenland Learn How To Count Kids learn to count on their fingers, because theyre so, well, handy! And it makes sensemost number systems originally developed as people counted using their fingers. The counting system of native Greenland

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Does Exercise Trigger Headache? Dear A Moment of Science, I like to exercise, but I suffer from migraines and worry that getting my sweat on at the gym could trigger a headache. Am I right to be cautious? Good question. For some people, exercise can

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

What Do Pupils Tell Us? The size of our pupils can give clues to our interest, emotions, attitudes, and thought processes. If youve seen a magician tell which card someone picked from a deck, youve probably been amazed. Well, the pupils often open up

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(27) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Whats So Special About A Sharp Knife? Everyone knows that a sharp knife cuts better than a dull one, but do you know why, exactly? The purpose of the cutting edge of a knife is to concentrate the force thats being applied at the handle. When you push

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

The Surprising Truth: Doctors Are Not Washing Their Hands Since the beginning of time, or at least for a good long while, mothers have exhorted their kids to wash their hands. Its a lesson most of us learn and carry with us into adulthood. And youd t

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

What Happens When You Lose Neurons? When you were born, almost all of the one trillion neurons, or nerve cells, in your brain had already formed. But those neurons still had a lot of growing to do. As kids grow, neurons in the brain branch out and ma

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(30) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

What Makes Windshield Glass So Tough? We tend to think of glass as fragilebut in fact, glass is pretty strong stuff. A flawless fiber of glass pulled lengthwise is five times stronger than steel! Although glass is quite strong, its also very brittlea

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Keeping Time With Quartz Most people know that wrist watches commonly contain quartz. In fact, if you wear a watch, chances are its a quartz watch, since most watches is made today use quartz. But, you may not know what quartz has to do with keeping

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Fear Smells Like Sugar Scientists have suspected for many years that fish might give off a chemical signal to warn other fish about the presence of predators. When a fish in a school is injured, for example, the rest of the school will panic and swim

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest