Dear Annie: Today I mourn the loss of a dear friend. She was vibrant, energetic and full of life, but on a crisp autumn afternoon, she committed suicide. I do not know what transpired in the final hours of her life, but I do know she had been under a

发表于:2019-02-16 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Do other animals besides humans cry? All animals with mobile eyes are equipped with a tearing system that keeps their eyes lubricated, protecting their eyes from the elements and so on. People tell tales of animals such as elephants and dogs weeping

发表于:2019-02-16 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

In 1509 Henry VIII ascended the throne.He would be King of England until his death. Author Alison Weir wrote the book, Henry VIII: The King and Court and here are some extracts from it. Henry VIII succeeded to the throne in 1509 to great acclaim. He

发表于:2019-02-16 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Your teenage son wrecks the car. Your daughter shows up with her recently paroled boyfriend. These are the sorts of things that can make your hair turn gray overnight. Actually, it's impossible for hair to completely change color overnight. Hair colo

发表于:2019-02-16 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Mikhail: Whats all this? Carol: Its open enrollment at my company and Im thinking of switching health plans. I have an HMO right now and Im thinking of switching to a PPO. That way, I can see doctors outside of my current network and still be covered

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(23) / 评论(0) 分类 地道美语播客

Laura: I really dont like these political commentary shows. They purportedly present both sides of an issue, but the commentator is always biased . Joon: Oh, I dont think so. Each show invites pundits on each side of the political spectrum . In this

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 地道美语播客

Vaccines Not Linked to Autism 最新发表在ClinicalEvidence杂志上的一项来自美国循症医学调查中心的研究显示,麻疹、腮腺炎和风疹(MMR)联合疫苗或单一麻诊疫苗接种与儿童孤独症无关。 新生儿在出生以

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Sailing Over a Tidal Wave 海啸是一种具有强大破坏力的海浪。当地震发生于海底,因震波的动力而引起海水剧烈的起伏,形成强大的波浪,向前推进,将沿海地带一一淹没的灾害,称之为海啸。海啸

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

What Are Calluses And How Are They Formed? 皮肤上的茧是如何形成的? 人体皮肤由于劳动过程长期摩擦造成皮肤表皮细胞坏死而形成的,主要出现于手掌、足掌等部位。长时间的受到磨檫,组织细胞的老

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Dirty Hands 洗手误区 Most people believe that regular hand-washing is the best way to prevent infection s . And theyre right: hand-washing does prevent certain infection s , but too much washing can actually help some infection s along.Whats goin

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

How Do You Make A Diet-Coke Float? 你能让无糖可乐浮起来吗? Heres an at-home experiment you can try. Take a can of classic Coca-Cola and a can of Diet Coke, and without opening either one submerge them in water. A deep sink or a bucket wi

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Swinging Physics: Potential And Kinetic Energy Working Together 动能与势能相互作用 动能是所有能看到的运动的能量,包括物体的,微粒的或质点集的运动等。 势能(Potential energy )是位置的函数,例如把一个

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Is A Tree Related To Me? 树跟人类是近亲? Last time we talked about the false belief that evolutionary theory says human beings descended from monkeys. In fact, evolution says that both human beings and monkeys descended from a common ancesto

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Kissing Cousins 近亲之吻 Fans of classic movies will remember the famous dueling banjo s scene in Deliverance, the story of four city friends who take an ill-fated boating trip down a backwoods Georgia river. As the friends set out, one of the fr

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Mind Reading 读心术 Sometimes we get letters here asking whether psychic s are for real. Well, despite the t.v. shows, there isnt any scientific evidence that psychic powers, such as mind-reading, actually exist. That doesnt prove they dont existj

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(65) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

How Cells Get Around 漫步的细胞 A major reason why many cancers are so dangerous is that they metastasize . This means that instead of staying in one place, the cancer cells migrate from their original site to other parts of the body. No wonder

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Snoring and Cognition 鼾声和认知能力 Snoring can be pretty disturbing to people who sleep in the company of snore rs , as well as to the snore r himself or herself, though she may not realize it. For instance, some snore rs have a condition ca

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(75) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Dehydration 脱水 If I were to stop drinking water right now, how long could I live? There are different factors involve d here. A human being isnt an automobile which needs a certain amount of gas. There are conditions under which a person could di

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(72) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Why Dogs Bark ? 犬吠为何? Have you ever wondered why do dogs bark ? In terms of evolution , there has to be a reason for bark ing , or it probably wouldnt be there. Is it to warn of predator s ? But dogs bark when there are no predator s around

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest

Ultraviolet Fish 带紫外线的鱼儿 So you want to attract a mate . After all, passing on your gene s is what evolution is all about. To do that you need offspring , and to get a lot of those you need to be attractive. The flash ier the better. He

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(90) / 评论(0) 分类 英语听力文摘 English Digest