Archaeologys taking to the air. Researchers spent a month this summer testing a semi-autonomous unmanned aerial vehiclebasically a semi-autonomous dronehigh in the Andes in Peru. The goal: to scan a colonial town from the 1500s that had been built ov

发表于:2018-12-02 / 阅读(59) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(十二)月

Cases of the flu peak in winter in the U.S., but why? A new study suggests it's not the heat, but huminity. Or lack thereof. Because in temperate regions, the influenza virus fares best when the weather's dry. That's according to work published in th

发表于:2018-12-02 / 阅读(72) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(十二)月

Every fall, you need a new flu shot. Thats because todays vaccines train your immune system to recognize specific strains of flu, indentified by two proteins on the viruss coat, / and /. Thats where the H and N come from in H1N1. Problem is those pro

发表于:2018-12-02 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(十二)月

This is Scientific American - 60 Second Science. I am ...This will just take a minute. When it comes to mussels, bigger is not necessarily better. Tiny fibers called bissels and able muscles ,the shell fish kind,to anger themselves to coast lines,des

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(二)月

This is Scientific American 60 second Science, Im Christopher Intagliata. Got a minute? Olive oil is thought to be healthy because it's mostly monounsaturated fat. But cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil may have an extra benefit: it appears to be mo

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(三)月

The best value for money in cooking equipment, in my mind, is first a digital scale and digital thermometer. Theyre both about $20. They help you cook so much more accurately that theyre both enormously valuable. Nathan Myhrvold is the former chief t

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(二)月

This is Scientific Americans 60 second Science, I am Karen Hopkin, this will just take a minute. Since the first human genome sequence was published, thousands of people have submitted their DNA for scientific analysis. They made these donations anon

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(一)月

This is Scientific American 60-second Science,I'm Sophie Bushwick.Got a minute?Scientists have used synthetic DNA to store digital files,including a photo,Shakespeare's sonnets and an audio recording on Martin Luther King. And the pursuit of happines

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(一)月

This is Scientific America 60-second science, I'm Sophie Bushvick, got a minute? All humans evolve to find certain female traits attractive across cultures because the signal of potential means reproductive potential. Right? Actually a new study find

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(49) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(六)月

If you haven't already pickd up on the trend from all the whining on Bravo's Princesses Long Island, marriage rates in America are at an all-time low. And the medium age at which women do say 'I do'is now 27, the highest it's been in the century. Tha

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(七)月

This is scientific american 60-secs science. I'm Sophy Bushwick. Got a minute? It takes a white chromosome to make a man, but that does't mean its counterpart, the x-chromosome, plays no part. In fact it has a big role in making sperm. To study x evo

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(七)月

Here is good news bad news story. Scientists are able to dramatically increase yields of oil palm trees axxx the global market. Oil palm trees grow in tropic so that means more profit for less land helping to protect tropical farms. Good news, right?

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 2014年Scientific American(十)月

how many times does it happens to youmyou start to fall but then catch yourself and continue on your way. well new reaearch shows that falling and catch yourself actually happens everytime you take step and that we persicesly palces we walk to avoid

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(150) / 评论(0) 分类 2014年Scientific American(十)月

Crop rotation is a recognized way to keep soil and food eco-system healthy. Now scientists are saying that rotation could be a useful tool in the sea. Researchers tracked the shallow water near shore species used for food-sea cucumbers. They'are easy

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年Scientific American(五)月

This is Scientific American's 60-Second Science. I'm Eric Barris. Got a minute? Maybe call it the Sex and the City footwear effect. High heels are stylish, and in some circles, considered a fashion requirement. But they come with risks. Emergency roo

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年Scientific American(六)月

This is Scientific American 60 seconds science, Im Andrea Alfano, got a minute? Just the sounds of the 1960 movie thriller Psycho may be enough to get your heart racing. Even when we may not be aware it, hearing music can affect our bodies as well as

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(30) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年Scientific American(三)月

The Apple Watch grabbed most of the headlines when it launched on March 9. But for the scientific community, the companys new research kit product is probably the more interesting development. Researcher kit lets scientists more easily write apps for

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年Scientific American(三)月

Modern European languages tend to share their names with the places they're spoken. Swedish: Sweden. German: Germany. And so on. But where'd they come from before that? One theory is the Anatolian hypothesis, Anatolia referring roughly to the Asian p

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年Scientific American(三)月

Telomeres are parts of chromosomes that protect the ends of the chromosomes. Theyre often likened to the aglets(绳两端的金属箍) at the end of shoelaces(鞋带). And like aglets eventually crack, telomeres tended to get shorter over time, with

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年Scientific American(四)月

Body odor. The smell of BO is unmistakable. And the culprit(犯人) behind that signature stench(恶臭) is a molecule called thioalcohol(硫醇). Our noses are so attuned(理解的) to it, we can pick up quantities as small as one part per trillion.

发表于:2019-01-20 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 2015年Scientific American(四)月